News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann 3-truck Shay

Started by AndyS, March 22, 2010, 04:44:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyS

I want to install an Aristocraft (Crest Electronics) Train Engineer Revolution control system in my G scale Bachmann Spectrum 3-truck Shay.  I need to purchase an additional board if the engine is not DCC ready.  What is the easiest way to determine if it is.  I looked at the wiring diagrams and I did not see any reference to DCC.  I also want to install a Phoenix sound system.  Do you have any advice?

tlnibert

Doesn't anyone have a Shay with factory sound?
Tom
tlnibert45@yahoo.com

Peter O

I would have thought the 3 truck Shay had the same Bachmann board in the tender as the 2 truck, and that does support DCC hookup fairly easily. I have the 3 truck with DCC/sound from the factory, but I've never opened it up to see what PC board is has.

I think you would get an answer if you post the same question on mylargescale.com.

Peter,

Jon D. Miller

The main PCB is the same in both the regular three truck Shay and the factory sound equipped three truck version.  That's rather obvious when looking at sheet G824X-IS007 and sheet G824X-IS008.

By DCC ready, are you making reference to the plug and play socket as installed in the K-27, 2-6-6-2T, and the Forney?  If so, no there is not the plug and play like the three mentioned locomotives.

The three truck Shay is set up to support DCC.  However, the Revolution is not a DCC system.

Installation of the Revolution is not difficult. There are four three truck Shay locomotives in our club that have the Revolution installed.  Their owners reported that installing the Revolution was not difficult.  Just follow the installation instructions that are provided with the Revolution system.

One of the "Enthusiastic Children"

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)