News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

0-6-0

Started by Daylight4449, March 17, 2010, 10:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daylight4449

i have a new bachmann standard 0-6-0 w/ slope back tender and after being opended up, it won't run... any ideas?

the Bach-man

Dear Daylight,
Have you checked for a short on the track?
Let us know,
the Bach-man

ABC

Check the contacts for a short or to make sure they are  making good contact.

Daylight4449

yes, also tested my other 3 locos and they run fine

OldTimer

Does the headlight come on?
Just workin' on the railroad.

Daylight4449

no... got it to run for two seconds when i took the shell off, then it died again.

OldTimer

You either have a short or an open circuit.  If you have a multimeter, check the current flow.  If the circuit is open (a broken wire for example) there will be no current flow.  If there's a short (an insulated wheel on the wrong side, for example), current flow will be high and your power pack may hum loudly and shut itself down.  Personally, I'd be heading back to the store.

Daylight4449

except all my other locos run

OldTimer

The fact that your other engines run tells you that they are fine and that there is nothing wrong with your power pack.  The trouble is in the 0-6-0.  Put it back in the box and take it back to where you bought it.  Or call Bachmann for an RMA and send it back for replacement.  Trust me on this.  You should expect to get what you paid for--a working engine.
Old Timer

Daylight4449

bought on ebay with no box but it ran before, mayby i will send it in.

OldTimer

Oh.  Well, you could try contacting the seller and seeing if he will let you send it back.  If you can't return it, maybe we can get it running.  You need to learn to look at things and SEE what you are looking at.  That will help you sort out the symptoms and point you toward an answer.

You said you took the shell off and the engine ran briefly.  What do you think coould have causedd that?  I'm guessing you don't have a multi-meter, so we'll have to improvise a tool out of the headlight.  How does the headlight behave when the engine is on the track and you turn up the throttle? 

Daylight4449

when it runs, it stays on, when not, it does not. i bent the tabs a little but i can't return it, i bought it 2 months ago

OldTimer

If you'll look at the red menu on the left side of this page, you'll see a button that says "Product Reference."  One of the sub menus off that is "Diagrams."  Select diagrams and you will find exploded views of Bachmann locomotives.  Scroll down aways to the standard line and you'll find a diagram for your 0-6-0. 

OldTimer

We can tell from the drawing that the tender plays no part in this game.  There are no pick-ups on the tender wheels and no connections other than that plastic hook to the engine.  So set the tender aside out of the way.

If you put it back on, take the shell off the engine again.  It's reasonable to assume that if the motor doesn't run, the headlight doesn't work because they get their power from the same place...the two halves of the split frame.  Put the engine on the track, turn on the power, and JIGGLE the engine.  Does it run in fits and starts?

ABC

It is not going to be worthwhile to send it in because it will cost $20 for repair or replacement since you are not the original owner. And about $5 in shipping each way for a grand total of at least $30. And I'm guessing that you paid less than $30 for this engine since you said you got it on ebay.