News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

can somone tell me what this is

Started by 5212spec, March 18, 2010, 07:16:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5212spec

like the title says and can i get body parts for it ? it looks alot like one of bachmann's trains its a reallly old model !

CNE Runner

Hmmm, it looks like part of a generic Ten Wheeler. From what I can see it seems to be missing part of the cab as well as the stack. My general impression is that this was of 'toy quality' and probably not worth investing in restoration. I also must admit that I never heard of the B.P.S.& D. Railroad.

Good luck,
Ray

PS: You might want to take it to some train shows and ask the vendors.
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

OldTimer

I believe that it is a Tyco ten-wheeler (4-6-0).  The prototype, I think, was a Rogers locomotive from the 1880's.  Tyco also made a series of both freight and passenger cars that they sold serparately and in sets with this locomotive.  I seem to recall that one of the sets was tied to a popular TV show called Petticoat Junction.  Getting new parts is likely to be problematic, but Tyco/Mantua was acquired by Model Power several years ago.  You might check out the Model Power web site.
Old Timer
Just workin' on the railroad.

CNE Runner

Assuming Old Timer is correct in his identification of your locomotive (and I have no cause to doubt his observation), I would check Yardbird.com for any possibility of repair.
From the shape of the boiler, I would think the [Rogers] engine to be from an earlier period than the 1880s. One must also keep in mind that this locomotive (and possibly the set it was originally part of) are toys and not, necessarily, historically correct.

I hope Yardbird can be of assistance to you.

Ray

CNE Runner

I did a short Google image search and found the following reference:
According to the article the locomotive pictured was constructed in 1891 and strongly resembles your model. The boiler shape is somewhat distinctive with it raised crown sheet section and banded boiler sections...unfortunately Rogers was not the only engine manufacturer to employ these characteristics (Schenectady and Danforth are both a few that also featured this arrangement).

In summary, Old Timer is probably correct in his ID and date for your locomotive.

Regards,
Ray

Terry Toenges

That's the model of Sierra's "Old #3".
The movie loco that was used in Petticoat Junction, Back To The Future, and Scalplock among others.
B.P.S.& D. Railroad is from the Scalplock movie and Iron Horse series - Buffalo Pass Scalplock and Defiance Railroad
Dale Robertson played Ben Calhoun, the owner.
Feel like a Mogul.

ebtnut

Old-Timer is right, that's an old Mantua/Tyco Ten-Wheeler, missing its cab and maybe some other parts.  The model is actually patterned after Sierra RR No. 3, which was used in many movies and TV shows over the years (including Petticoat Jct.).  However, the model is about 20% oversize compared to the prototype, actually being much closer to S scale than HO.  In fact, a number of S scale modelers have used this model as a basis for an Sn3 engine.  It is more toy than scale model, so proceed accordingly.

CNE Runner

ebtnet - I agree with you regarding your remarks on 'oversized' early locomotive (their model variants of course). Most of the 4-4-0s from the late 1830s through the 1860s were diminutive. I had an old Gem (brass) 4-4-0 and was amazed at how small it appeared next to a Varney/Mantua/AHM model (all of which were oversized). Railroad locomotives, of the early to mid 19th century were almost 'tiny'. The small stature of these examples of railroad's Golden Age are one of the reasons installing DCC decoders, and more specifically, sound systems is so difficult.

I guess I didn't watch Pettycoat Junction enough to recognize that famous locomotive. I was more of a Casey Jones type on Saturday mornings...good ol' Allen Hale Jr. [There was Casey Jr. and Old Redrock too...Fireman Walley and the rest of the crew...and Cinders the dog!]

Ray

ebtnut

Ray:  It's the same Sierra No. 3 in Casey Jones, Petticoat Jct., Iron Horse, etc.  Somewhere in the Jamestown shops there must be a building devoted to storing nothing but the different stacks the engine has worn over the years.  I believe No. 3 is about to be restored to service after a lengthy rebuild job. 

CNE Runner

ebtnut - Thanks for filling me in on #3. I have the first 18 (out of a possible 32) episodes of Casey Jones on DVD. This was a once-in-a-lifetime find on eBay (and I can't seem to get the remaining episodes). What a great show. Oh sure, the producers played loose with some of the facts (like John Luther (Casey) Jones was a runner for the IC and never ventured out west; but the show is definitely enjoyable. Old #3 must have some history! Say Mr. Bach Man: Why not produce a Bachmann model of #3? Those of us who model the late 1800s would love to have a correctly scaled 19th century Ten Wheeler accompany your excellent American.

Regards,
Ray

RAM

Tyco/Mantua.  If it runs its Mantua.  No if it is mantua it will say mantua on the botton

Woody Elmore

to 5212spec - I happen to have a Mantua cab for that engine. It is in Bi-Centennial colors - mostly white and would need a paint job. It's yours if you want it - free, no charge, no ebay.  all you need do is reimburse me for the postage.

Contact me offline at gradprofmmv@msn.com