Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Misconception of 55n3

Started by hminky, March 16, 2010, 12:44:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hminky

While looking at my Awstats page on my 55n3 website, I found this on a forum:

"The irony is that now he has the correct track gauge,
but everything else becomes far less accurate because you have to tweak 1/48 and 1/87 models to fit the new scale..

so instead of having very accurate models in 1/48 scale with the wrong gauge,
you now have much less accurate models in 1/55 scale with the correct gauge.."

No, 55n3, uses oversize and undersized components from other scales that measure correctly to Scale55. Just because an object is labeled "HO" doesn't mean it scales to HO. Example:

The Lifelike "HO" stock pen, it is too large for HO and S. It scales right in Scale55.

That is the advantage of 55n3 there are so many things available that are cheap and readily available. Just because it is label a "scale" doesn't mean that it measures out to that "scale".

Everything scales out to a real world object that I display at:

http://www.55n3.org/

It just takes more than opening a box as those in more imaginative endeavors have found. I congratulate all those other odd scale and gaugers.

Thank you if you visit
Harold

scottychaos

well..I was referring more to locomotives and rolling stock needing to be "tweaked" to fit 1/55 scale..but thats a good point about the other stuff..

I actually do like your 55n3 idea! :)
it works well..
I didnt mean to criticize the idea..I was simply pointing out that while it makes things "easier" and correct in one respect (the track) it also makes things much more difficult in other areas (making 1/48 scale locos and rolling stock fit 1/55 scale) but it looks like you have a handle on that too! and there is nothing wrong with a good modeling challenge.. (the 4-4-0 looks good!)

I certainty have nothing against "unusual" fringe scales..I also invented one!  ;D

http://gold.mylargescale.com/scottychaos/29n2/

I created it so I could model my beloved 1/29 scale standard gauge diesels, and my beloved Maine 2-footers, all in the same scale..and so far, I seem to be the only person modeling in this scale..
which is fine and doesn't matter at all, because I enjoy it!  ;)

Scot

hminky

The Bachmann "On30" small 4-4-0 doesn't need to be tweaked. All the details are the right size for 55n3. All the rest of the On30 Locomotives are too large.

The big thing about locomotives is drivers. HO drivers look right in Scale55 and are available. There are several UK suppliers that have self-quartering drivers in the right sizes.

I am in the process of converting a HO Mantua/Tyco 4-6-0 to a typical Three foot 4-4-0.

Harold

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: hminky on March 16, 2010, 11:28:39 PM
I am in the process of converting a HO Mantua/Tyco 4-6-0 to a typical Three foot 4-4-0.

This I will be looking forward to seeing!

hminky

Quote from: Johnson Bar Jeff on March 17, 2010, 12:28:31 PM

It is almost there from the start.

I am waiting for my self-quartering drivers from Scalelink. Those are from a Roundhouse 2-6-0 and a bit large and not self-quartering. All it needs is a new cab and details.

Harold

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: hminky on March 17, 2010, 12:35:25 PM
Quote from: Johnson Bar Jeff on March 17, 2010, 12:28:31 PM

It is almost there from the start.

I am waiting for my self-quartering drivers from Scalelink. Those are from a Roundhouse 2-6-0 and a bit large and not self-quartering. All it needs is a new cab and details.

Harold

This is going to be a very nice engine when it's completed! A great use of an old Mantua/Tyco "Dixie Bell" ten-wheeler! The engine looks sleek and fast.

This project reminds me of an article I read, I believe in Railroad/Railfan magazine, years ago, on the occasion of the "100th birthday" of Sierra Railroad #3. The author said that the engine would have made an "elegant" eight-wheeler, but that Rogers stuck an extra pair of drivers up front. This is going to be a very elegant engine when the project is completed.