News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-6-6-2t

Started by willis, March 18, 2010, 07:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willis

Mr Bachmann, can you tell me what the large metal post just behind the smoke unit is for?
thanks, willis.

willis

the reason i am asking is, i am not going to use smoke and want to install my wireless receiver there and run the antenna up the stack, but this post is in the way. i cannot see that it serves any purpose looking at the drawing.

the Bach-man

Dear Willis,
I'm currently on the road, but I'll check when I get home mid-week.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

willis

Mr Bach- man,
i called tech support and asked, whomever i talked to did not know, he said he thought it was a weight?
with the metal frame and weight of the motor assemblies. i don't see where that 0.8 oz. would make a difference, however i will add that much back with stick on lead wheel weights.
with the smoke generator and post gone now i have enough room for my wireless receiver in that spot.
the antenna can now go straight up the stack.
thanks anyway, Willis.

Bucksco

I checked with the service department today and was informed that the piece you are referring to is a structural support for the boiler (and weight that is located above it). I don't think it would be a very good idea to remove it.

willis

Mr Jack,
there is no weight above the post other than the boiler shell itself, just to be sure i put a piece of clay on the top of the post that was about 1/8 th inch thick and tightened the shell down it did not touch the clay at all.
i thank you for your help.
willis.

Bucksco

In actuality it does not support a weight (I mis-spoke) it is located there to aid in weight distribution. When the smoke stack is pressed into the boiler there is a possibility that the boiler shell could be pressed down too far and might crack if no support existed, thus the post is there to eliminate the possibility of the shell cracking during assembly.

willis

that makes sense, thanks.
willis.

Peter O

It's also useful for moving the loc when it's partly disassembled. I just eliminated it to install an Aristo smoke unit. That's a tight fit and will be more effective than the post ever was in preventing "boiler crush".

Peter.

jsmvmd

Dear Pete,

Is that Aristo smoke unit a Suethe or similar to it ?

I was thinking about replacing the smoke unit on my Annie.  How much cutting and rewiring did you have to do ?

I don't particularly like running smoke units in the house, but the kids like to see smoke.

My O-Gauge MTH Connie throws out an unbelievable amount of smoke.  Any ideas how the Aristo unit would compare ?

Thanks and Best Wishes,

Jack
Altoona, PA

Peter O

Jack, the Aristo units put out a considerable amount of smoke and run for 20+ minutes before going dry without any adverse effects. The ease of install depends on the loco.

I'm very familiar with the innards of the Annie, but I won't get around to doing that install until next fall now that outside work can occur in my part of the USA. There's plenty of room in the Annie, but you would need to fabricate a support inside the boiler to support the unit.

Peter.

jsmvmd

Dear Pete,

Roger that.  Here in central PA spring has sprung.  I, too am doing yard and garden prep.  My Annie's smoke unit still works because I am careful not to let it run dry.

My Aristo 2-4-2 Rogers is a nice runner whose smoke unit, I believe can be run dry with no ill effect.

Next in the offing is to get the G scale side tank Porter converted to battery power and Aristo TE throttle control.  I have the TE and do not wish to invest in a Revolution.

Best Wishes,

Jack