News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Where did all the Porters go?

Started by Gunslinger_Fur, March 19, 2010, 11:31:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gunslinger_Fur

Hey! What happened to all the On30 Porters? Did Bachmann disscontinue them? Man that would really stink if they did!
A.J. Davis, aka "Gunslinger".

the Bach-man

Dear Guns,
Although they're not currently cataloged, they're still available from some dealers. Hopefully we'll see them again soon.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

NarrowMinded

If and when they do come back, can you guys tool up some side tanks?

Wishful thinking I know... I love the little porters

NM

Hamish K

I too love my little Porters. I agree with NarrowMinded, it would be nice to see them return as side tanks, or in some other way a bit different from the previous versions. This would increase the variety of my loco fleet. In Large Scale the (somewhat different) Porters have, at different times, been both side and saddle tanks.

While I am not interested in DCC or sound, some would probably like to see that in the Porters. One solution to finding space for sound and DCC would be to add a small 4 wheeled tender (there are some kits available to do this, but ready to run would be nice). Adding such a tender to small tank locos, including Porters, was quite common in real life. If Bachmann were to do this, I would plead for a non sound version of the tender loco as well as the sound version. 

However whatever versions Bachmann decide to produce, even if the same as the previous ones, lets see the Porters back soon.

Hamish

NarrowMinded

Hamish,
That is a GREAT argument for getting the sidetanks tooled up they would be perfect for installing a decoder, and I have seen some small oval speakers that would likely fit in one side of the tanks, or a larger one in a tender as you mentioned.

NM

Anubis

I thought I saw Bachmann advertising side-tanked Porters on their site a couple of months back.

Alas, the great old saddle-tanks seem to have gone the way of all fleh (and steam locos).... :'(
There is no such thing as a Part Time Obsession

JohnR

Here's Porter sn 1196 (built 1890).  This is the ex-Cortez Mines Porter rescued from Nevada and rebuilt.  As built for Cortez, this was a 30" loco.  During it's recent rebuild, it was regauged to 36".  This is a shot from its first post rebuild steam up Labor Day weekend 2009.

-John

Gunslinger_Fur

Like many of you I wouldn't mind seeing new porters produced in different verieties. I like the idea of side tank porters, and I'd REALLY like to see some porters that are DCC/DCC sound ready or installed.

But I have a fondness for the saddle tankers, so when and if the Bach-Man brings them back I do hope to see them again.
A.J. Davis, aka "Gunslinger".

El Loco

When you fellers give up on trying to find a Porter, Try the "Foreshortened Forney".  It makes a great replacement!
Just a thought. :)

NarrowMinded

El Loco,
Will the shortened Forny run on 9" radius curves?  I saw the pictures of a shortend unit on another thread, I liked it a lot. My largest dia curve is 30" all the inside curves are less (I have very little space) My 2-6-0 just barely handles the 30" on my outside loop.

NM

El Loco

Well, I wouldn't say why not but  I cant say for sure though. I know that you wouldn't be disappointed.  Wiseman & Backwoods miniatures makes some very fine tender kits.
Give me the chance to take mine to LHS and test it out on a 9" radiusand I'll post the results ASAP. ;)

rwiseha

If you want side tanks on a porter, Backwoods miniatures havethem.
http://www.backwoodsminiatures.com/0n3kits.htm#Side_Tank_Conversion_kit
I am always looking for things for small locos, as I have a very small layout w/15" curves.  Sp a 2-6-0 is the absolute largest loco I can run
Rex

rwiseha

Just received the April issue of narrow gauge downunder.  It has an article about a very small track.  Also pictures of an 0-4-0 gas mach side rod, made into a Porter!  Might want to check it out.
Rex

El Loco

Quote from: NarrowMinded on March 21, 2010, 07:04:02 PM
El Loco,
Will the shortened Forny run on 9" radius curves?  I saw the pictures of a shortend unit on another thread, I liked it a lot. My largest dia curve is 30" all the inside curves are less (I have very little space) My 2-6-0 just barely handles the 30" on my outside loop.

NM

Hey NM, my LHS layout doesn't have (" radius' so I didn't get the chance to see if it could pull it off. Sorry bout that.  I have seen the conversions where the pilot truck was removed as well to turn it into a 0-4-0 switcher with a short tender. I wouldn't see why it couldn't pull off a 9" radi. :)

C.S.R.R. Manager

My 0-4-0 Porter can handle 6" radius curves, when pulling 4-wheel rolling stock -- The gas-mechanical can handle the same curves easily.  Not sure about the 0-4-2 -- Mine has been bashed. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsvWOX3jYp0

Manager