Adding Tsunami Sound to my Bachmann 0n30 non-DCC Shay

Started by Larlaeb, March 22, 2010, 01:17:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larlaeb

I have a Shay that I recently purchased but it does not have DCC or Sound. Is the  board used for factory sound locomotives  available to install? If not, what is the best / easiest option? 

Thanks

ScottyB

The board that is factory installed is not available separately, but the Micro-Tsunami fits just fine.  I think the "Light Logging" version is the one you are looking for.  I can't remember the speaker size off hand - I want to say the Soundtraxx 1.1" speaker, but hopefully someone else will chime in (or just measure.)

The OEM version that comes preinstalled works great, but it lacks some of the features the full Micro-Tsunami version has.  Get one of those "blank" 8 pin plugs and with some quick soldering to it, you can plug it right into the Shay's DCC plug.

Hope that helps!
Scott
On30 for me, N scale for my son.

Larlaeb

Thanks that gives me some direction. I notice some holes in the bottom under the rear tank. I assume the speaker goes there and that the board will go on top of the existing curcuit board.  Has anyone done this that has any additional advice?

Thanks,
Lar

Hobojohn

Hi Lar,
I have added sound to a shay. Under the tender is the place to be for a speaker and for the decoder.
There is not plenty of room but enough, especially for a micro Tsunami. The Tsunami decoder itself is wrapped, what you have to really watch for is that the underside of the Bachmann PC board in no way touches the back of the speaker. This can happen when you put the board back on. The speaker is then under it.
So when the board is taken from it seats cut away all sharp metal pieces that stick out on the (sometimes rough) soldered side and insulate it with a good type of insulating tape.
Otherwise your decoder will go up in smoke. You do not want that to happen.
Cheers
John Baron
Netherlands.

Larlaeb

Sounds like good advice and I definitely agree that letting the smoke out is a bad thing. Thanks much for the advice.

James Thomas

Lar,

Since the Shays are now available with DCC and sound, why not sell the one you have and buy one ready to go?  Might be cheaper (and better) in the long run.

-JRT

Larlaeb

I've actually thought about that. It might be the way to go if I could get enough for my current shay to bring me within a $120 or so of the sound price.  Certainly safer I would think.