News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Compatible track for a bedroom train.

Started by bwilder10h, March 22, 2010, 08:34:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwilder10h

Hello,

I purchased a Thomas G scale set for my little guy and plan to put the train up in his room after we move (building the shelf that circles the entire room for it to run on about a foot or so down from the ceiling) and had some questions about buying more track.

I'm obviously going to need a LOT of track. Is ebay the best resource for getting the track without paying through the nose for it? Does anyone make longer track sections than the 12" long straights that Bachmann sells. The local hobby shop (Entertrainment Junction) sells brass sections of track that are 3 feet long each but the guy I talked to said the tracks are different.

I'm also wanting to keep it uniform and make sure it's compatible with other trains later on down the road. I'm sure when he's 10, he wont want Thomas in his room and want to be able to put a less juvenile set on the track.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

altterrain

Since you are planning on a more or less permanent layout and need lots more track, I would stick the Bachmann track away to go round the christmas tree and go with all brass. It will last much longer (almost forever) and you could even bump up in diameter size. Bachmann track is four foot diameter, the minimum suze for most rolling stock. Going up in size to 5 foot or even 6.5 foot diameter size (if your plan and room permits it) will put less strain on the engines and allow you more options for running other rolling stock.

-Brian
President of

bwilder10h

I'll have to do more homework on the diameter issue as I'm not following that unless we're talking the size of the oval track shape that it ships with.

Are we talking the radius of the turns?

If I switch to all brass track or even stay with this track, is the power unit that came with this kit enough to power this train over the length of the track? Let's just say we're doing the entire perimeter of a 12x14 bedroom for discussion sake.

Joe Satnik

Dear bwilder10h,

How old is your boy? 

Are you sure he doesn't want more hands on than watching Thomas circle the room near the ceiling ?

Bachmann track is less expensive than solid track.  You can interface the two by removing the black blade and using a different means to hold the sections together, such as tie wraps or rubber bands.   

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,7240.0.html

A good power bus (say, 14 ga. with 22 ga. drops every 3rd or 4th track section) is more help with power on a long layout than a bigger power pack.

Remember that any layout is just a derailment waiting to happen.  Fences will save you from having an engine fall on a family member's head.

I have new Bachmann G track from set break ups, but wish to bundle it in (12 curve and 8 straight) ovals. 

joebarb"AT"wwt"DOT"net for more info.

Some of my old threads teach how to cut corner pieces.   Search "corner satnik". 

The cowcatcher's overhang will hit the wall if you don't leave enough room on the corners. Search "overhang satnik".   

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik 
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

NarrowMinded

Hi, I thought I would throw my 3 cents in here. I put a layout around daughters room. after you measure it out you will be surprised how little track you need (unless your child's room is huge.) the curves take up a good deal of wall space. you likely wont need nearly as much straight as you think you do.

Here's a few things I would really recommend

1. don't go to close to the ceiling. you may want to add building fronts along the wall later.(looks nice)

2. use at least 8' DIA. I used 4' and my loco choice is limited.

3. make sure to leave enough space between the wall and the track for overhang so the train does not hit the wall when entering or exiting a curve.

4. plan on a railing high enough to keep the train and cars from falling on your child's head if it derails. you could make it look like a fence. I used finials every 3' and strung stainless 1/16 wire cable through them.

5. buy and use a cleaning car full time (lots of dust)

6. Use good quality solid track.

NM

Thanks Corrected radius changed to DIA. I get confused sometimes  :P

altterrain

I think NM meant to say 8 foot diameter track above. Large scale curved track is measured/sold in the curve diameter and not radius like in the smaller scales.

-Brian
President of