News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Decoder for H-16-44

Started by Inspector, March 23, 2010, 12:58:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Banner

Thanks, Tom, for linking to the manual.  It, along with your list of connections, confirms my chart.  Well, mostly it does.  Bachmann has left out pin 3, which does not have any connections in the usual scheme of things.

I can now see why the confusion exists.  In the manual, the chart is in order by pin number while the numbers in the diagram are in order of physical layout.  Connect it up by the numbers and the colours will come out as per Tom's list.  Rearranging the diagram to put the columns in the same order as the pins would reduce the confusion to about zero.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

TCWORLD

Yeah. It confused me when I wired mine up a year and a bit ago. Im not entirely sure why they ordered the table as they did, other than if someone was having a laugh.
Tom

-~The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time~-

Inspector

Quote from: TCWORLD on March 30, 2010, 01:52:19 PM
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/N614X_IS001.PDF

That shows the correct wiring of the H16-44

The pins are as follows as you move in from the end.  .......

Thanks to all that have posted.  I performed the installation on the loco last week, before all this information came along.  Here is my report:

I used a Z2 decoder from TCS.  It is a little smaller than the Digitrax DZ125 and the TCS M1.  It also has 1 amp motor control, so it is robust enough to operate a N Scale locomotive even though it was designed for Z scale applications.

I located the decoder in the well underneathe the cab.  There is ample room for the decoder with some tape to hold it in place.  That means I did not have to remove the weight.

I checked with the NMRA standards to identify the location of the numbered positions on their 8 pin plug design.  Then I matched that up with the numbered solder tab locations on the light board.  I tested the loco with DCC once all the attachments were made and it ran perfectly including all the light contols.  I then replaced the shell and began setting up the decoder to operate on the main line. 

The loco runs very well when attached to a line of rolling stock.  It jerks at low speed when operating without the rollings stock in place.  My customer is very happy.  It is doing much better than his Kato/Atlas H-16 with the factory installed decoder.