News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Railfan Berkshire DOA - Solved

Started by cwhowell2, March 17, 2010, 09:19:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cwhowell2

I just received a Bachmann 2-8-4 "DCC On Board" that seems to be totally dead.  I tried to activate it and to re-program it with my NCE PowerCab system but got an error message "Unable to read CV".  I opened the tender and the decoder is correctly plugged in.  Does anybody know if there is a common problem with these models?  Thanks - Bill

pdlethbridge

Make sure the plugs from the tender to the engine are completely seated. My connie was DOA until I checked them

cwhowell2

I re-seated the plugs but still no response.  So I removed the decoder and put it on my NCE decoder tester.  Dead.  Actually that's good news since I had planned to replace it with an NCE D13srp anyway.  Just ordered it from Tony's.  - Bill

cwhowell2

I removed the Bachmann decoder and inserted the DC jumpers.  The loco ran just fine on a DC layout, so looks like I don't have a problem after all.  Now if I could just get it to go around 20" radius curves.  - Bill

Jhanecker2

Question : Where did you get 20" radius curves ?   Flex-track is the only way to make them. Just curious . John II

OldTimer

Actually, you can get a very close approximation of a 20" radius curve by mixing 22" full sections and 1/2 18" radius sections.  The curve is amazingly smooth.  However, you are right about flex track, the preferred method, in my house, anyway.   ;D
Old Timer
Just workin' on the railroad.

cwhowell2

Yep, my entire layout is Atlas cd83 flex with Walthers turnouts.  Most curves are fairly broad but there's one spot where I just couldn't get any wider than 20"r.  A fair amount of my layout's history can be seen at http://cwhowell2.com/modelrr/modelrr.htm
Regards - Bill

cwhowell2

Well, I got a new NCE decoder, plugged it in and the loco is still dead.  It runs fine on DC with the jumpers installed, but when attempting to program either the Bachmann or the NCE decoder, I get an error "Cannot read CV".  Guess I'll need to send it back to Bachmann.  Anybody know how I go about doing that?  Thanks - Bill

ABC

Who did you buy it from? If it was on ebay it is not under warranty unless you bought it from the favorite spot. If it was online it's about a 50/50 shot. If it was your LHS you have nothing to worry about. If it is under warranty, fill out the registration card, include a proof of purchase and receipt, include a message detailing what is wrong with the locomotive, and send it to the service department address.
Bachmann Customer Service
1400 East Erie Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19124
If it is not under warranty, also include $25.00 in addition to everything else for a Standard DCC and Spectrum® HO locomotive. Also, you are responsible for shipping charges in both directions. This is often the case when the dealer is not an authorized dealer and is therefore considered the original owner as the warranty only applies to the original owner of the loco if that makes sense. So, in many cases the online dealer would count as the original owner and not you, the purchaser. And you live in the U.S. or Canada correct? The phone number and procedure differs for persons outside of the US and Canada.

Bachmann's Service Department is available Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm Eastern Time.   Customer Service for all scales can be reached toll free by US and Canadian customers at 800-356-3910.
   * Parts: Ext. 328 or 329
   * Technical Support: Ext.337
   * Repair Status: Ext. 331
   * Customer Service Manager: Ext.304
Actually, I am fairly certain that there may not be a problem with the locomotive though. Do you have any other Bachmann DCC locos and if so do they run with your PowerCab? I think the loco may be fine, but your DCC system is just having trouble detecting the decoder.

cwhowell2

I have several Bachmann loco's that run just fine, both with Bachmann and NCE decoders.  I bought the model from an eBay "store".  If that means the warranty is invalid then sounds like I need to stop buying Bachmann products.  - Bill

ABC

What store? You can still send the loco in, but it will cost a $25 fee if the store was not an authorized dealer. The loco is sent in for no charge within a year of the purchase if you are the original owner, after either a year has passed or the loco has a second owner the loco may still be sent in, but a repair/replacement fee applies. Here's what I suggest call 1-800-356-3910 (the service department) and ask them what your options are, it is very possible that they make an exception. Also, you can contact the seller of the item and try and arrange for a refund or return, or see if he can otherwise help.

Joe323

Assuming it is not under warranty I would send it back to Bachmann with the $25.  The last time I sent and out of warranty product to them they simply replaced it with a new locomotive.

cwhowell2

Apologies to all and thanks to everyone who responded.  The problem was indeed a bad wire in my programming track.  The Berk responded normally after fixing the wire.  Also ran smooth as silk after replacing the decoder with an NCE D13SRP.  - Bill

richg

Quote from: cwhowell2 on March 23, 2010, 09:16:59 PM
Apologies to all and thanks to everyone who responded.  The problem was indeed a bad wire in my programming track.  The Berk responded normally after fixing the wire.  Also ran smooth as silk after replacing the decoder with an NCE D13SRP.  - Bill

All you would have had to do is check the track voltage with a multimeter using the AC scale.
Below is a link to inexpensive multimeter's. I have three of those and they have helped many times in trouble shooting.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Category.taf?categoryid=551&pricetype=S&categoryname=Electrical%20Test%20Equipment

Rich