News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

44 ton dcc?

Started by kamerad47, March 23, 2010, 05:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kamerad47

I have a 44 ton dcc loco , I was run it in dc & it ran fine  i bought dcc & run it runs like junk stopping on the track, have to push it all the time to start it again !!! I almost wish I didn't buy dcc  any help??

rich1998

First of all, Junk does not run.

What are using for a DCC controller? You really need to learn to give more detailed information for someone to help you.

Rich

ABC

Your problem is likely related to your track being dirty making your locos wheels dirty and giving you poor conduction. Try cleaning the track and loco thoroughly and then apply conductive lubricant very very very sparingly, just a drop or two on the track and loco. DCC locos are much more sensitive to track then DC locos.

kamerad47

I.m using MRC I only a 5' x 2' swithing layout it stalls on all turnouts even on the sidings never did with DC bright  boy the rails still bad !! cleaned the loco wheels   NG !! using #14 bus wire  # 20 fraaders & solder all the track conections , Runs fine id dc

ABC

The bright boy is only good for when the track is really dirty to get it to somewhat dirty. You have to use some sort of track cleaning fluid to get it to the next step, use a cloth that does not leave anything behind to wipe off the track and wheels. The bright boy actually leaves behind its own residue, which can cause issues. It is also possible that your soldiered connections are not conducting as well as they originally did, what type of flux/resin did you use? Try a different decoder to see if it makes any difference.
Quote from: kamerad47 on March 23, 2010, 05:57:35 PMRuns fine id [sic] dc
It running fine in DC has absolutely nothing to do with how well it runs in DCC.

RacerAMX

Well, what about a bad decoder?

lirrman

If its just stopping on turnouts, I suspect it's the short wheel base on this loco not bridging the frog.
LIRRMAN

lmackattack

does the decoder have BEMF control?

if it does adjusting the BEMF settings can smooth out a jerky loco motor. 

kamerad47

I think part of the problem is that these loco's are to light!!! they need more weight!!!

richg

I have two of these with a LokSound decoder using a NCE Power Cab  and they run just fine, even at a HO scale speed of 1 mph.
They pull six cars with no problem.

Rich

CNE Runner

kamerand47 - The advice given here is excellent and following the cleaning instructions will help any layout run smoother. I couldn't help but notice that the size of your layout was 5'x 2'...making it a [larger] form of mini layout. The Bachmann 44-ton critter is a very short wheelbased locomotive - which presents another series of problems: electrical conductivity (or in DCC interruption).

Have faith as there is a way to solve your running problems! As was mentioned, a locomotive's ability to run on DC has little to nothing to do with its performance on DCC. DCC is much more INtolerant to 'breaks' in the flow of electricity. Cleaning your track, as well as the locomotive's wheels, will go a long way to making things run better...it probably won't solve your turnout problems. I strongly recommend that you replace your present turnouts with Peco Electrofrog units. The Electrofrog turnouts feature powered frogs whilst others usually have insulated (nonpowered) bits.

On the Monks' Island Railway (measuring just under 5'x 11") I run one Bachmann Plymouth WDT. This critter has 6-wheel electrical pickup through contact between the axles and the frame...not the best system. It never stalls on Electrofrog turnouts - but the story changes on the Insufrog double slip turnout and the insufrog crossing. If I had to do it over, I would definitely have Electrofrog items in the place of the two aforementioned units. I know it won't be cheap (or easy) to install Peco turnouts; but the end result will be worth it. About the only other solution (really not possible on a layout of your size) is to run locomotives with a longer wheelbase and multiple wheel electrical pickup.

Regards,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Doneldon

It might be easier to add flywheels and capacitors to your 40 tonners than to tear out all of your existing turnouts.  Also, depending on what turnouts you now have, you might already have live frogs or can wire live frogs from your switch machines.  Being a fundamentally lazy person, I always look for the shortest and easiest way to do something.

richg

Quote from: Doneldon on April 19, 2010, 01:13:51 AM
It might be easier to add flywheels and capacitors to your 40 tonners than to tear out all of your existing turnouts.  Also, depending on what turnouts you now have, you might already have live frogs or can wire live frogs from your switch machines.  Being a fundamentally lazy person, I always look for the shortest and easiest way to do something.

I have a couple of one motor 44 ton. It would be nearly impossible to ad a flywheel and you do not just "add" capacitors, at least not to a DC operated loco.
I have corresponded with two people who added capacitors to a decoder and did not follow instructions and the capacitor popped with a disturbing sound. But then, there is very liitle room on the 44 ton.
You will have to clean up the turnouts.

Rich

kamerad47

I got to tell you it's not the turnout it's the loco ! I have a 45 ton it runs so muck smoother & go threw the insulfrog turnout with no problem!

richg

Clip the capacitors off the PC board. It may also be a defective decoder.
Like someone said, Junk does not run. Try to give better and clearer info when posting a question. You will generally get a better response. You did not mention the DCC controller or the 45 ton in your first post.
Did you get the 44 ton with DCC On Board?

Below is what my 44 ton PC boards look like. Just clip the capacitors. Don't worry about the inductors.
Mine were DCC ready.

I have had a two motor 44 ton that ran fine and now have two single motor 44 ton that run fine.

Rich