Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

turn table

Started by ali, March 24, 2010, 01:35:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ali

hi everyone

i want to buy Walthers HO 2829 Modern 130' Turntable Built-Up
is it good? and is it work with E-Z system? :Bachmann 36505 Wireless E-Z Command Dynamis DCC Controller

here its featurs:

Now, you can model a turntable quickly, easily and affordably with this Walthers Built-Up model. The Modern 130' Turntable is the first fully assembled unit capable of handling locomotives as large as a Big Boy. A sturdy one-piece plastic pit that's pre-weathered, and a detailed plastic bridge with separate arch are all included. Programmable indexing for as many as 60 different positions lets you install tracks almost anywhere you need them. And complete installation and programming instructions make set-up fast and easy on DC- or DCC-equipped layouts.

Measures: Overall Diameter: 19-1/8" 47.8cm Pit Diameter/Benchwork Opening Required: 18-1/4" 45.6cm Bridge Length: 18-7/8" 47.1cm; Height: 3-5/8" 9cm 

Features

Fully Assembled
Programmable indexing for up to 60 positions
Motorized Gear Drive
Authentic American Design
Weathered One-Piece Plastic Pit
Holds Engines Up To 130 Scale Feet Long
Detailed Bridge with Arch
Complete Instructions

ABC

It is a good turntable, and the price reflects that.

pdlethbridge

My brother just installed one and it is awesome. Well worth the price.  Two things though, Make sure you use code 83 track for everything as that is what the bridge has and if you use ez track, ypu will have to build up the turntable or lower the track.( this could cause problems ) We used atlas code 83 on all tracks at the turntable.
The turntable has 2 sets of connections. one is for the bridge track and should be wired the same as the approach tracks. The second is a AC connection for the on board computer and built in control system for programing the tracks. Even though the turntable is DCC friendly, you can't control the bridge from the dynamis. It has its own controller.

RAM

I think you would want to use atlas code 83 around the turntable if for no other reason than everything around the turntable and roundhouse is flat.  You  had all kinds of foot traffic and carts being moved around. 

full maxx

My little engineer wants a turntable but we have nowhere to put one right now but provided we expand in the future this is the one I'm favoring
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

lescar

I like that idea of using Code 83 track all around the turntable, and have a couple of questions.  The questions could also help ali, he would probability have the same ones.

1.Would you still use roadbed or is it not used to keep the track low to the ground.
2.I would think that the adapter track from code 100 to 83 is needed for the transition from ez-track, my idea is to use the code 83 from the turnout going to the turn table which would give room for tapering the track or is this what your talking about causing problems.

Thanks
Les
All Comments and suggestions are all ways welcome and appreciated

pdlethbridge

The turntable has a lip going around it that is the thickness of a railroad tie. So all you do is run the code 83 rails up to the bridge track leaving about a 1/16" for clearance. Roadbed is not used as it's a lot lower that the atlas 9" unit

on30gn15

Going to have to get it from a store which already has one in stock:

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-2829
QuoteModern 130' Turntable (Assembled, Motorized, Programmable Indexing)
Walthers Part # 933-2829, p. 430 Walthers 2010 HO Scale Reference
HO scale, $329.98, not currently in stock at Walthers, Expected: Unknown
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

railroaderjuststarting

I'm also interested in incorporating the Walthers 130' turntable into a layout that now contains exclusively Bachmann nickle-silver EZ track (with attached roadbed).  The consensus here seems to be that it's necessary to use Atlas Code 83, without roadbed, for all tracks connecting to the turntable. 
My first question is this: What's the best way to make a transition from the EZ-track down to the Atlas Code 83?  For example, does Atlas provide special rail joiners that can make this transition smoothly - e.g., a rail joiner from Code 100 to Code 83?
My second question is this: In order to make a transition from the EZ-track with roadbed down to a track without roadbed, some sort of gradual slope surely has to be installed underneath the track without roadbed.  Does anyone have experience with doing this - or at least a good idea as to how to do so?  For example, would vinyl spackle or painter's 'mud' (used for filling in gaps in sheet rock) spread carefully with a trowel be suitable - or might these tend to decompose into dust over time?
Thanks in advance for your input!
-Ed

pdlethbridge

Atlas does make 83 to 100 railjoiners.  A piece of flex track with the code 83 rail could be attached to the code 100 ez track and gradually lowered to the level of the turntable. We are talking about a 1/4" so a grade for 2' wouldn't be bad. A sharp change at the top or bottom would give long wheel based locos a problem but not if it's gradual. Use some 1/8" and 1/16" basswood to support the track down. If it is 2' that you're doing, it would be 3/16" at 6", 1/8" at 12" 1/16" at 18" if the drop for the rail is 1/4"

Jim Banner

I like PD's brother's idea of raising the turntable and the area around it.  Quarter inch foam core would be strong enough.  If you run E-Z track up to the edge of the foam core (or cut the foam core where the E-Z track ends) then no grade is necessary and things should link right up.

If you don't have any transition rail joiners handy, just use code 100 ones.  Slip them on the code 100 rail as per normal, then squash flat the part that sticks out beyond the rail.  Solder the code 83 rail on top of the flattened part of the joiner.  The advantage is that you don't have to pull any joiners off the E-Z track which can be difficult.  The only disadvantage I can think of is that you might have to learn to solder.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

pdlethbridge

Actually my brothers turntable is mounted on plywood and we used code 83 rail from atlas. No ez track