News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Programming Track Relay

Started by jgaynor, April 13, 2010, 09:16:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgaynor

I'm thinking of setting up a programming track as a spur line on my layout. I want to use a MRC Dispatch Decoder to activate a DPDT relay to switch power to the track between main and programming I will use a section of track with a gap.
Should I consider doing anything else to this set up so I don't do any damage to any other parts of the setup

thanks for any helpful information

John
I do it all for the love of my son Cameron

Joe Satnik

Dear John,

Sounds a little complicated.  Why not just a DPDT switch near the programming track?  (With both rails gapped.)

A 3rd pole (upgrade from DPDT to 3PDT, e.g.) could be used to power an LED to indicate when the track was in programming mode.  

Also, I've heard that connecting a 1,000 Ohm 1/4 watt resistor between the programming rails helps.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

jgaynor

want to use the Dispatch Decoder because it already has 2 LEDs wired to it to indicated status. If I can't get the AD360 to work with my Advanced squared I will try using another stationary decoder
I do it all for the love of my son Cameron