News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Use of Message Board

Started by Hal, March 24, 2010, 10:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdlethbridge

Another suggestion would be to let a couple of us put the spam in a spam folder for checking by the moderator. If it's not spam, it would be returned to the board and the person who marked it as spam would loose the privilege of putting it in a spam folder.

Bachmann Industries, Inc.

Dear All,

We have looked at some additional options on the message feature.  (By the way, it works now because we upgraded to the current version of the software.) The software does not offer the option of putting the messages in a holding area, but we did turn on the report to moderator feature.  This works just like reporting a post. So if you get any sort of Spam, just report it and we will ban the user.

We have also limited the number of recipients to 5 and maximum personal messages to 5 per hour.

Let's try it like this for now and see what happens.  It seems like most people would like to keep this feature on.

Jim Banner

I am glad to see the "guess the letters" feature has been turned back on.  I believe Jeffery calls it "captcha technology."  That, along with limiting the number of posts, should go a long way toward making personal messaging too much of a nuisance for spammers and very little inconvenience for us.  Thank you, fellas, for the improvements and for deciding to leave personal messaging active.

Jim   
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

pdlethbridge

Yes that is captcha  Now if that is done at log in for first time users that would be great! Thanks for all your hard work to keep this site clean.

The Captcha is active for new users accounts.  We have also started using a module that does not allow known spammers to create accounts.  It checks several things and blocks the registration  if there are any matches in the Spam database. We have blocked many since it has been turned on.

pdlethbridge

Again, that's great! Keep up the good work. Will we have to use a chaptcha everytime we make a personal message or is that a once and done deal like new members?

The captcha setting is based on post count (which we don't use) so it will be required every time.

Doneldon

THANKS for taking good care of this board.  It is an invaluable resource.

pdlethbridge

Are you going to keep  the pm limit at 5 or will you be increasing it. 5 isn't high enough.

ABC

I think it means you can't PM more than 5 people simultaneously.

pdlethbridge

no, it's 5 per hour limit period. I just had that warning

pdlethbridge,

It is actually both limits.  You cannot send a message to more than 5 recipients and you cannot send more than 5 per hour.  If 5 is not high enough what do you suggest? You don't want SPAM; increasing the number could result in more SPAM in personal messages.

pdlethbridge

The problem I see happened again last night. Someone came on the site to look around. They must have logged in as a real person rather than a robot. If a real person, a spammer logs in, then we are going to have problems. I would suggest that any new person be given a chance to prove them selves. Model Railroaoders don't sell time shares, ****** or stop to look around. They ask questions about the trains. I would delay the posting or the accessing the site of a new person for at least 24 hours or until they are approved by the moderator. The captchas are a good thing, but can be overcome by a real person. Just limit the access to this site until you clear them. That's the best way.

richg

Mr excuse me is still here. Another Spam from him.

909 anavar with propecia
Rich

pdlethbridge