News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Decoder in Loco

Started by scotpat, March 25, 2010, 08:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotpat

I am in the process of converting my HO railroad to a DCC system and have bought an MRC Prodigy Advance system.  I have been trying to program a loco that I bought from Bachmann about 3 years ago (I think).  It is a K4 4-6-2 Pacific locomotive.  The Bachman item number is 84013 but I don't see it on your site.  I no longer have any of the information that came with it.  I need to understand the voltage requirements to program into the system (starting, top).  Can you tell me what decoder is installed in this loco and how I might find out the voltage needs?  Is the loco now discontinued?  Also is the decoder address likely to be the loco number (3750)?  I think it is.

Any help much appreciated.

ABC

Quote from: scotpat on March 25, 2010, 08:49:51 PMAlso is the decoder address likely to be the loco number (3750)?  I think it is.
No you are incorrect in making that assumption, as loco's default address is actually 3, as it is for all Bachmann DCC locos.
It is a K4 4-6-2 Pacific locomotive.  The Bachman item number is 84013 but I don't see it on your site.  I no longer have any of the information that came with it.
Here it is:

K4 4-6-2 Pacific: Post-War with Modern Pilot
Road Name: Pennsylvania #3750
Price: $195.00
Product Code: 84101

QuoteI need to understand the voltage requirements to program into the system (starting, top)...Can you tell me what decoder is installed in this loco and how I might find out the voltage needs?
It has a Bachmann E-Z Command 1 AMP, 2 Function Decoder.
Starting Voltage is CV 2 and ranges from 0-31, the default value is 10
See this link to a pdf for more info: http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/ez_content/1_Amp_Decoder_Instr.pdf

I think your problem is that you are trying to address it by the incorrect address, try using 3 or 03, and see what happens.

pdlethbridge

And if that fails, set CV 8 to 8 and  try address 3 again

Pacific Northern

#84013 is the DCC ready K4 Pacific.

You have to add the DCC decoder yourself.

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/160-84013

Did  you added a DCC decoder yourself ?     
Pacific Northern

ABC

Quote from: Pacific Northern on March 26, 2010, 12:17:55 AM
#84013 is the DCC ready K4 Pacific.
You have to add the DCC decoder yourself.
Did  you add a DCC decoder yourself ?     
Good point, I completely overlooked that, DCC ready does not mean it has a decoder inside, it just means that a decoder can be easily installed.

scotpat

OK. Thanks.  I took the tender apart and saw what I thought was a decoder installed but obviously not.  Two sets of wires run to the locomotive connected by a couple of plugs. I'll read up on the installation and see if I can do it myself.
Thanks again

guslcp

What you saw is the PC board where you'll plug in a decoder.  To save yourself some grief, use the same brand of decoder as the system you have.  Most decoders will have some brief instructions on how to install them.  Make sure you buy a decoder with an NMRA 8 pin plug.  That will plug into the board in the tender.  Follow your system's instructions on how to program values into the various CV's.