Thinking of new products? How about this for a modern 2-6-0?

Started by Kevin Strong, March 26, 2010, 06:30:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Strong

The latest out of the TRR shops...

Tuscarora Railroad #2 (Post-wreck version).

In 1923, Tuscarora RR #2 (ex ET&WNC #2) hit a washout and rolled over, causing a fair amount of damage. She was sent back to Baldwin, where she was rebuilt with new cab, domes, and a new tender.

Essentially, what you've got here is a Bachmann 2-6-0 chassis with a new boiler and tender. Many of the parts (domes, cab, generator, headlight, airpumps, etc.) are Bachmann parts from my scrap box. I'm a big fan of recycling.

This is #2 before paint, showing the various parts used. The tender is the tank from the 2-8-0, shortened by about an inch, and narrowed by around 1/2" or so.

More photos can be found here:
http://tinyurl.com/TRR2602

Later,

K

bob kaplan

Nicely done!....i'd take two....if they'd run around 8 foot diameter without the center driver dropping on the inside curve.  i use LGB track and sometimes the 2-6-0 has some trouble with that radius...especially at the swithches...the only Bachmann engine that i have found this a problem....Very nice work Kevin.

NarrowMinded

C.S.R.R. Manager

Temps me to jump from On30 to LS.  Or maybe I should just study Kevin's techniques and apply to On30.  Either way, the Youtube movie of the 4-4-0 is one of the best I've seen, really bending the line between model and full-size, and shot and edited with an excellent eye.

Brilliant stuff, Kevin.

Manager.

joe rusz

Kev, I like your loco a lot, as I said on MLS. But since we're talkin' ideas for new products, I prefer the drive wheels to be all clustered together, like on the Annie, rather than separated as many of the early engines were. But that's just me.

While I'm on the subject--and not to tick people off--I'd like to see more small- to mid-size locos like 2-6-0s or 2-8-0s, that can negotiate curves on the average-size layout. All of these LARGE locos look great, but ya can't run 'em around small radius curves.

And please, enough with the geared locomotives!

Kevin Strong

Joe, I agree about the evenly spaced drivers. Most "modern" moguls had evenly spaced drivers. Personally, I think the Waynesburg & Washington, or Ohio River & Western moguls would be great choices. For that matter, merely scaling up the On30 mogul would be a great start.

Later,

K

altterrain

I might buy one if it came preweathered by you!  ;)
Nice job K!

-Brian
President of