News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Do saddle tanks come off the 0-4-0?

Started by joe rusz, March 30, 2010, 06:03:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joe rusz

After I mentioned a Forney bash--as featured in the Gazette--on MLS, somebody suggested I use the saddletank switcher, which is cheaper. But do the tanks come off and reveal a usable boiler? Or are they molded into the plastic?

Also--and this probably should be a separate post--can you buy cabs and stuff from Bachmann? I know that when you look at the schematic that comes packaged with your new loco, there is a parts breakdown, suggesting that somewhere there are "spare" components. So are there, Mr. Bachmann?

Which brings up another idea: why can't Bachmann offer these parts so that bashers can acquire them easily--without going on eBay, trolling for used goods?

NarrowMinded

Yes the Saddle tanks do come off and the boiler is usable but there is about a 3/32 gap the is left were the bottom of the tanks extend into the boiler for attachment. if your trashing the tanks you could just cut the piece off of the tank and use for the filler piece.

After taking the picture It looks like the gap is right were the running boards would attach.

below with makeshift running board.

These are from the old 0-4-0  I'll unpack my new 0-4-0 and see if it's the same if no one else has an answer regarding them.

NM

Jon D. Miller

With the 1:20.3 vesion, introduced late 2006, the answer is NO. Unlike the 1:22.5 version, the latest side tanker is a different casting.  

The side tanks are cast as one piece with the boiler. The base of the side tanks are also cast to the lower part of the boiler.

There are weights mounted on the base of each side tank. The main PCB also extends slightly into the side tank.

To make this side tanker into a conventional engine will take construction of a new boiler.

One of the "Enthusiastic Children"

JD

Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)