anchoring crushed marble ballast to a cement base

Started by gringolandia, March 30, 2010, 05:53:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gringolandia

Jim Banner

I assume we are talking about large scale here.  If you live in a non freezing climate, then water proof yellow glue such a Franklin's Titebrond II mixed with water will do a decent job.  Wet the marble with water then add the glue/water mix.  25% glue, 75% water should about do it.

If you live in a freezing climate, then applying the crushed marble and packing it down with water and a bit of tamping is about as good as it gets.  I have tried a number of diluted glues, including epoxy diluted with acetone.  But none of them could stand up to water freezing and expanding.  There is a period in the fall when rain or melt water soaked up by the ballast during the day freezes and expands at night, forcing even the best glued grains apart.

I have even tried filling the spaces between the ties with mortar and pressing crushed granite into it.  Same result.  Adding a bonding agent stuck the mortar permanently to the concrete base, but not to the ballast.

My final comment on the matter ... ARRGHHH.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

stationmaster

A bit extreme, but try using a cement made by DAP or USG. Using it would be a trifle expensive and you will have to anchor your track in the bed. I've used it and it works. I had to transverse 30" of sidewalk. Of course, the better half had me tear the sidewalk up the following year. So, my labors should have waited a year.

The product comes in a tube and is used in securing landscape blocks. You can find it at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. Usually in the paint department with the adhesives.

Another alternative would be a mortar or sand mix concrete bed. You will have to make sure the old concrete is cleaned and etched, at least have a surface for the new stuff to adhere. Personally, I haven't tried that remedy. But, as they say, it looks good in theory. And now there is no need to worry on my garden layout. No sidewalks.

Bob