News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Spectrum DCC Sound 2- 10-2 Dud?

Started by LOYRR, April 24, 2010, 11:04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LOYRR

I have recently purchased a brand new Bachmann Spectrum DCC Sound 2-10-2 DM&IR.  After testing, I have found the following:

The locomotive jerks uncontrollably in forward and rearward operations and I can see the driver wheels binding to a stop each half-revolution.  The 4th main driver wheel set "slaps" the sides of the rails with each revolution of its turn.

I believe this to be one of the reasons why this locomotive jerks when it is operating.   

As this is a brand new, factory-sealed locomotive and I have found the exact same problem to exist with a brand new, factory-sealed 2-10-2 DCC Seaboard locomotive, this leads me to believe that these are not one-off issues but a systemic problem with this particular Bachmann engine.

I would like to find out if anyone else has encountered this problem.

LOYRR

bruceallen123

That's pretty much how mine ran too, along with a 2-8-0 that died not 30 minutes later.  Send it back.  I'd say it's a dud.  100%

bobwrgt

Do a search on the forum and you will find others have had the same problem.
I sent one back to Bachmann twice for the same rail slap and they replaced it with a heavy mountain on my request.
Recently i purchased a Chicago 2-10-2 and they must have solved the problem as it runs much better.
Smooth and no slap.

Bob

Jim2903

My 2-10-2 w/o sound runs fine, as does my heavy Mountain with sound. Guess I lucked out ...
Jim Dudlicek
Hoffman Estates, IL

Cascade International Ry.