News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Track Issues

Started by ThomasFan247, April 01, 2010, 10:43:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThomasFan247

I'm having some track issues. I use Bachmann Steel Alloy track. I've had problems before but they were easily fixed. Now I don't know WHAT to do.

So, I was cleaning my track today before starting up my engines (I used a track eraser). I started my loco and in certain spots it was jerking, and I said, "Ok...track's a little dirty." So I cleaned that section of track. Well, that didn't work. I tried cleaning it again-didn't work. I tried several more times and had no success. Seeing that wouldn't work I tried to move the track's placement a bit, as I've noticed over the years that track positioning will affect the power connections. I ajusted the track. Nothing. I tried cleaning the track AGAIN. Didn't work. I cleaned my loco's wheels. Nothing. I tried everything could imagine. I checked the wiring, the power supply, EVERYTHING! Nothing worked.

I don't really no what to do. Should I buy new track (preferably Bachmann's Nickel Silver track)?

I'm not sure. If you can, Mr. B, give me some advice or ANYTHING! I need help :'(

-Christian

the Bach-man

Dear Fan,
Try a little conductive lube on wheel treads and backs as well as the track.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

ABC

Try using a track cleaning solution, the eraser can only do so much.

SodorAdventures

I would say, did you try more than 2 engines, sometimes the wheels might collect lint and dust causing the wheels to "Bind" up. Hope this Helps. If the engines are a problem bring them to a local hobby shop and they can fix it. I had the same problem
Are you ready for Dover Valley's Facelift?

Visit our official site for more info:
                    http://www.sodoradventuresonline.com

kman781

I use nickel-silver EZ track and over the years I found the most effective way to minimize rails losing electrical conductivity due to shifting rails was too solder all the joints-and i have a semi permanant carpet layout- hope this helps

ZeldaTheSwordsman

I recommend switching to nickel-silver rail track if you can. If not, frequently clean your track with rubbing alcohol.

ThomasFan247

Thanks for the help guys!  :D I tried some of your tactics and they worked!But the main problem was that the wheels on my locos were FILTHY! My friends Todd (YouTuber Money735) gave me a wheel cleaning brush and my wheels look lie new! I'm sooo glad everything is working! :D

-Christian

PerfectPercy

Just a question, but which engine was jerky like that? Was it James? I've had that problem with only him. his middle drive wheels had black rings of dirt, so I cleaned that off. It helped minorly, so I'm looking for a solution.

ThomasFan247

It was for Thomas, Percy, James, Emily, and Toby. Try using a wheel cleaning brush. They seem to do the trick

PerfectPercy

I cleaned his wheels as much as I could. I don't know whether to try and look inside his motor or what, but he stalls and starts. He basically shudders up the hills I'm testing on my layout. Edward, Thomas, Percy... they don't. They run fine (unless the hill is too steep leading to wheel spin). I've been packaging up my engines in the original packaging to prevent wear and tear. James still has this problem. He only does this with a load though. By himself, he can rocket up any incline. Going down the hill with his train he is fine. It only seems to be uphill with a decent to heavier load. I don't know what to do.

ThomasFan247

Well, to what i can tell, the James models aren't perfect. I did have that problem at one time with my old James. Idk, I'd send it to Bachmann Headquarters.

PerfectPercy

On your layout shown on YouTube, it is mentioned that you (ThomasFan247) have a hill on your layout. How does James and the other engines run on the hill in terms of quality?