News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Switch track

Started by Michael T., April 02, 2010, 01:12:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael T.

So the bachmann eletric switch track has a little non-powered switch on the side that I can use?
I finally started on building my first layout!!!

ABC

Exactement! But the Atlas, Life-Like and Model Power turnouts are much cheaper than Bachmann powered turnouts. I saw some Model Power manual turnouts at my LHS for $4 each, LifeLike powered turnouts were $8, and Atlas manual turnouts are also only $8.

Michael T.

Do they have a website I could go to?

ABC

I checked the model power website and they are no longer in production, so if you want Model Power turnouts (actually Roco) you will have to check your local Independenthobby shops (this excludes Hobby Lobby or Hobbytown USA).
Here is a link to the Atlas online store, apparently the price of Atlas turnouts has risen, the manual turnouts (nickel-silver) are $14 plus a flat rate shipping fee.
https://secure.atlasrr.com/mod1/items.asp?Cc=H44&iTpStatus=0&Tp=&Bc=
Here is a link to Walthers, the price of the Life-Like powered turnouts is also $14.
http://www.walthers.com/exec/search?category=Track&scale=H&manu=life-like&item=&keywords=turnouts&words=restrict&instock=Q&showdisc=Y&split=30&Submit=Search But Atlas #6 turnouts are on sale for $14.
So go to your local hobby store in see what they have in stock, because they may have some bargains. Otherwise you can use ebay or other online dealers not affiliated with the manufacturer.
You can purchase Bachmann turnouts from: http://ecommerce.shopatron.com/

Michael T.

But is the bachmann switch track able to let you do it manually even though you can hook it up to a power supply? The reason I ask is because all of my track is bachmann E-Z track and I am not really planning to switch tracks in the future. I know you said I can use a cork Road bed but that will Kinda stick out because I will be using the for only switch tracks.

P.S. you last message did help a lot though

ABC

It won't stick out after you ballast the track, many people do this, when a piece of track is not available in the roadbed tracks (like E-Z track), they will use atlas or peco code 83 or 100 depending of availability to do what they want. For example Bachmann does not make a double slip turnout, so if you need one you buy an Atlas of Peco turnout and put cork underneath then you cut to fit and ballast (add little stones) to match the Bachmann E-Z track.
Quote from: Michael T. on April 03, 2010, 04:22:22 PMBut is the bachmann switch track able to let you do it manually even though you can hook it up to a power supply?
Yes, there is a black slider on the side of the Bachmann turnouts that allows for manual operation.

Michael T.

Okay thanks! All of this really helps!