News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Jack's Modelling

Started by StanierJack, April 02, 2010, 05:52:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StanierJack

If you are wondering where my old thread went, it went in the bin because it was way too big.

New video if you want to see some of my models in action, i'm sure at least some of you will ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWhlod6sjRc

(Click it :p)

The Chaz Storm

Saw the video, even if most of them aren't complete they all look great.  Toby is my favorite that I have seen in the video.  I'm impressed as usual...keep it up! :)

SodorAdventures

Great Job!!!   Keep up the Good Work!!

Cant wait for more!!
Are you ready for Dover Valley's Facelift?

Visit our official site for more info:
                    http://www.sodoradventuresonline.com

Richie

Join my Thomas and modelling forums at http://modelsofsodor.proboards.com/index.cgi/ Please, we only have 3 members!

shining time

long live the GWR, LNER, and the narrow gauge railways

StanierJack

Got a special someone you might like under build...

Chassis is also a placeholder, will be on a Bachmann Jinty one in a few days. :)

StanierJack

So, most of you might have heard of the layout i've been planning for a while. Basically, it's a model of Crovan's Gate, with the Narrow Gauge section prominent, with sheds and station taking centre stage. Due to space restraints, I've cut out the standard gauge facility, but that may well be modeled in the future, it all depends on if I get my own place soon enough.

Right now it's at the baseboard stages. To represent the raised section, I managed to get two boards of 8ft x 2ft, and have cut one to have the raised section for the narrow gauge area of the layout. The layout itself is on standstill, as I am saving so I can get all new trackwork for it, and sourcing OO9 trackwork is proving to be a right pain. While standard gauge is Peco, the narrow gauge is a mixture of Peco, Roco and some old Egger Bahn track aqquired at a car boot.

The problem bugging me at the minute is what period to model the layout in. I've got xd periods, and out of these, all are good but I'm not sure on which to go for:

1. 1860's-1890's:

This would be modelling the earliest period I can model with both sections, and would be the most challenging to model. Whilst the narrow gauge stock is almost all available as kits, the Standard Gauge items would be the biggest issue.

Shown in illustrations and taken from TRLOTTTE (I have no copy of TIOS to source from,) the standard gauge line is part of the Sodor & Mainland Railway Company. Motive power wise, the company had 3 Neilson box tanks, none of which are available as kits. Rolling stock wise, Tri-ang made some Liverpool & Manchester coaches, but prices for them are sky high, ideally though, Bachmann make some similar ones for an American market set, the Lafayette. Wagons and goods vehicles are catered for, as there are plenty of suitable kits and such. When finishing the models off, LMS transfers should be able to be chopped around a bit to get the desired company initials. ;)

Lafayette coaches:

Should be noted that alot of stock borrowed from local railways could be modelled and used too.

2. 1930's:

With the big five recently formed, and the NWR is borrowing LMS equipment. The Skarloey Railway is still operating two locomotives, although I would probably add in a "loaned" Mid Sodor loco to boost operating potential. (Corris falcon works loco?)

Stock would be mainly LMS based, which would be good as I have some LMS items already :)

3. 1950's-1960's:

This would be modelling two things I like. Distressed narrow gauge and the end of steam. On the standard gauge, there would still be BR steam locomotives around, and a few diesels could be operated here and there. The narrow gauge would be good, rough in appearance and would allow for more locomotives/stock to be modelled.

4. 1980's-1990's:

This would be representing the railways as I grew up, with it all modelled after the spong illustrations. BR Blue would be in force, and i've already got a class 47 and Mk2 coach rake for this period.

5. Present day-future?:

The one that would be fun to model, would potentially allow even more things to be modelling, perhaps utilising a few ERS characters if I were to finnish off the normal ones and get permission first ;)

That's all for now, would love to hear what period you think it would be best to finnish the layout in :)

StanierJack

Small update, Thomas now on chassis and almost done, few more bits to finnish off.

What do you guys think?

ZeldaTheSwordsman

The Chaz Storm

I'm liking it Jack.  When can we expect a new video? :)

StanierJack

Quote from: Chaz on May 14, 2010, 02:36:04 AM
I'm liking it Jack.  When can we expect a new video? :)

As soon as I sort out the chassis issue with it, hornby body on it's own has little to no weight :@

This is almost done though, along with VICTORy ;)

Cheeky_ULP

ZeldaTheSwordsman

That this was the engine Jack was making.