News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Long Haul Tender Conversion

Started by jonathan, April 03, 2010, 06:48:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

Sorry Folks, I'm at it again.

I never liked the long haul tender that came with the Mantua engines.  Almost tossed it away.  But I recently saw some pics of auxiliary water tenders, and decided to give it a try.

I cut away the coal portion of the tender and replaced it with a piece of flat styrene.  Drilled out the plastic light lens, so I could actually put a bulb in that spot (I like it when tenders light up). :)

Finally, I added a few details and a coat of paint.  Here are some before and after shots:

Sorry for the poor quality photos.  My main PC crashed, and I'm forced to do this on a laptop.

OK, here's the question:

The trucks seem to be permanently welded together, so I can't replace the wheels.  What can I do to get these old wheels spinning better?  I've take some 600 grit sandpaper to the axles I could reach, just to knock the rust off.  I also spread a little graphite, a la pencil, to the axles I could reach.  Anything else I could try?

The shell just needs some decals and dullcote to complete.

I will probably have to do the 9V battery and microswitch trick to get the tender to light.  My first time trying that.

Hope I didn't bore you. 

Regards,

Jonathan

full maxx

looks great so far , you have talent
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

bobwrgt

The trucks are stamped together with 2 pins. You should be able to pry them apart. I have done some and replaced the center plastic wheel with metal.

Bob

jonathan

Bob,

Thanks, I'll try a little gentle persuasion on the trucks, once the shell is complete.  Would be great to get the trucks really free rolling.

FM,

You are kind.  I don't consider my tinkering nature a talent.  I would say I have a vivid imagination--it makes me try to create the things I see in my head.  THEN I go looking for a prototype to match what I'm trying to create.  In this case, I stretched reality just a little bit.

I would much prefer your talent of sharing the hobby with your little engineer.  Now that's worthy of praise.

Regards,

Jonathan

GN.2-6-8-0

First may I say your conversion looks great,as for the older Mantua trucks and wheels..... I'd just completely replace them with a pair of the better looking and detailed one's on the market today.
Rocky Lives

jonathan

You're right of course.  If the tender shell turns out really nice, then I may deem it worthy of splurging on some quality trucks.  Perhaps that will allow me to do the all wheel pick up trick for the tender light.  Saves me a couple of bucks in batteries and a microswitch.

Thanks,

Jonathan

p.s. Decaling went well... now for some clear coats:

J

J3a-614

Hello, Jonathan,

I got to talk to Jerry Cain (owner of Cain's Trains, in Bunker Hill, W.Va.) the other day, and his comment about Mantua trucks like these is that they are, as noted by Bob Wrgt, press-fitted at the factory--and that pressing them apart can make them hard to get together again, or at least hard to keep together.  If they won't stay, some ACC will hold, but you may have electrical pick up problems.  If this is the course you take, or if you need to adapt other trucks, including plastic ones, you may find this link of use.

http://www.55n3.org/cars/tender_wipers/

This is from this site, which may have other tips you can use.

http://pacificcoastairlinerr.com/

Finally, Jerry at Cain's has some Mantua and other parts available; contact informatin is available through this link.

http://bunkerhilltrainclub.org/

Keep having fun!

jonathan

J3a-614,

That is exactly the all-wheel pick-up trick I use on my tenders and cabeese.  Learned it from a different article about making OldTyme engines run better.  Not sure of the neolube benefit.  I find the backs of the wheels pick up current very well from the centering springs.  Perhaps it helps lower the drag of the spring on the wheel.  I usually adjust the tension to reduce drag.

I've started hunting for 6 wheel trucks that are plastic, in order to light up the water tender.  

I did get the Mantua trucks to roll better, through cleaning and graphite.  Don't really want to dismantle the trucks at this point.  Since they are metal, it wouldn't help my cause anyway.  

Will post a pic of the completed project (sans light) as soon as I can.  The Mantua pulled it around this morning with no problems.

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

OK,  all done for now...

Aft section:  You can see the bulb in the taillight.  I'll get around to that later.  the MU hoses are piano wire with a little rubber tubing slipped over the top.  Kadee coupler box fit right into the original slot--I even used the original screw to attach the box.

The front:  I was able to file down the drawbar post and attach a coupler box--original screw, also.  Pay no attention to the fact that I put the MU hoses on the wrong side :D.

Left:  To line up the decals, I actually counted the rivets... the irony made me laugh.

Right

And some gratuitous photography:

Thanks for looking.

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

It lights up now... thanks to Jim Banner for the idea.

Yes, I painted the silver scew.

addendum:  I was waiting for my car to be serviced; there was a Radio Shack across the street...  It's amazing what you can do with $3 and a couple hours of time on your hands.  Plus, I needed to try out a new soldering iron. ;D

Regards,

Jonathan

ABC

I am envious of your abilities, your auxiliary tender looks great!

jonathan

Thanks, ABC.

Believe me when I say, my abilities aren't all that great.  I select certain angles, for my pictures, to hide my foibles. 

Really, any wherewithall I have is from learning what members on this forum have taught.  The wealth of knowledge is astounding.

Regards,

Jonathan

Woody Elmore

Jon - you are too modest. I have seen guys trying to sell so called "custom painted" engines at the Timonium show - your models are just as nice or better. Next December, when Santa Claus brings you that airbrush you want, your models will be really outstanding.

Don't forget that the models you have done - the Varney Little Joe, Bowser g-5 and Mantua mikes weren't all that great in the detail department and two of them would have been written off by most sane people. Just getting them to run to 2010 standards is an accomplishment.

The auxilary tender is really nice. Seems I recall that B&O had some aux. tenders that looked like tank cars.

Don't let those club guys eat you out of house and home when they visit!

pdlethbridge

This is model railroading's suppository of knowledge ;D

Stephen D. Richards

jonathan,

don't sell yourself short.  Excellent job!  I am just learning to do the same thing myself and I do appreciate what you have accomplished.  Besides, they say really good carpenters just know how to hide their mistakes.  Stephen