News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

new garden railroad

Started by mf5117, April 03, 2010, 10:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mf5117

I started a new project today . My girlfriend has been on me about my large scale tweetsie set . So today I extended one of my flower beds 7x20ft . with land scape timbers 3 high , and on the 7ft width came out 4ft and 45'ed the corners to give it some character . Then put 2 cubic yards of sand in , graded it .  I'm laying a 5ft x 18ft half dog bone out of aristo craft large scale brass track .  i took 2x2x8" long red brick and incircled the track with it .then pulled the track and filled with pea gravel for the ballest. then will mulch and put a few plants in ,try to find some g scale buildings .  Maybe a water tower and small station .

I'm going to by one of the rock water falls that Lowe's has and then use the river rock for a tunnel on one of the curves . Was a good day and got alot accomplished . I'm excited about this . 

mf5117

I started to lay my track today . But what Im wondering is , is there something I can spray on the pea gravel to make it stick together . We get alot of rain here and I don't want my hard work to get washed away . I bought the rock fountain and river rock and a small pond . My 20 year old son wants me to put some fish in it , So we may .But will make a good place for a bridge .

also my dad gave me a couple of his LGB rolling stock can you change the couplers out to match up and make with the bachmann g scale rolling stock     

thanks    mf 5117   ps he wants me to use his LGB stuff cause Im doing what he never got todo .he just rides his scooter down to the house to  see what Im doing and operate my trains

Ted Yarbrough

I have used Elmer's white glue mixed with water (at about 50%). It will hold up for awhile outdoors, but eventually will break up. Then just pour more on!

smcgill

Quote from: mf5117 on April 04, 2010, 08:16:32 PM
pea gravel

This might be the wrong stone to use for balast....not enough sharp enges to hold together.
Try using stone dust/granet dust ,   holds up well when you add Tyte-Bond III .
Good luck
Sean

jsmvmd

Dear Friends,

Bachmann years ago at the Phila Flower Show, Bachmann had a booth and sold a nice little VHS tape that showed how to construct a small garden RR.  They used chicken grit, or similar which is crushed granite.  You wet it and tamp it and it appears to form a  nice compact roadbed.  Not sure if you would want to glue it, would you ?  As Glenn Haege, "America's Master Handyman" quotes, "Water always wins. That's why there is a Grand Canyon."  I think someone else here stated that frost heaving would destroy any glued balast, as I remember.

My garden RR will be set up on the patio, where the roadbed will not be a problem.

Best Wishes,

Jack

NarrowMinded

Don't use the glue, if your planning on having live fish, it will make its way into the pond one way or another.

NM

VirginiaCentral

It should be a relatively easy task to replace the LGB couplers with Bachmann couplers.  Bachmann sells packages of their knuckle couplers.  Ask around. You might find someone who has spare couplers to sell or trade.

Jerry
Jerry Kay
Big Sandy & Cumberland Garden Railroad
Virginia Central & New River Railway & Navigation Co.
"I love the smell of coal smoke in the morning!"

Craig

Quote from: mf5117 on April 04, 2010, 08:16:32 PM
I started to lay my track today . But what Im wondering is , is there something I can spray on the pea gravel to make it stick together .

also my dad gave me a couple of his LGB rolling stock can you change the couplers out to match up and make with the bachmann g scale rolling stock     

Pea gravel has rounded edges and thus is disqualified from suitability as ballast. Chick grit, as previously mentioned, is ideal. You can still use the pea gravel under chick grit if you like.

I installed Bachmann couplers on my sons LGB cars without incident or modification.

doug c

#1 chicken grit for ballast.  Like the 1:1 you'll find you'll have to 'top-off" every yr or so ?(unless ya want to try the glue ...) !    Larger crushed mixed with your existing pea will work for the roadbed.   Pea by itself (as mentioned) will likely be fine too !
"G-Gauge may not RULE, But it GROWS on Ya !! "     djc'99