DCC Loco not working on my Bachmann E-Z Command

Started by Tony, April 05, 2010, 12:12:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Okay, I am new here so please be kind if I am asking a really dumb question....

To start off I have other Bachmann DCC locos that work fine on my setup...
I recently purchase a BLI DCC equiped loco and it won't run on my DCC setup, it is signaling a short (the lights on the controller are blinking fast)... I changed out my DCC controller and put in an older DC controller and the loco works fine.

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

OldTimer

Some of the BLI locos do not include DCC.  They have a dual mode sound decoder, but are otherwise analog engines and you have to add a DCC decoder for speed, direction, lights, etc.  Read your instructions carefully.  I have two BLI engines that fall into this category.  Adding a decoder is really easy.
Old Timer
Just workin' on the railroad.

Tony

Thanks for the info. I bought the loco used, it came with the box but not with any instructions. I tried to find some info on the WEB but was not very successful. I will open it up and check it out. Now that I am reading the box closer I think your right, the sound is DCC but not the motor.... dang---reading is fundamental!! I guess I need to actually read the box and what is there and now what I WANT to be there.... like I said a new model railroader.

If you don't mind one more question, does the DCC decoder for the engine go into the loco or does it reside in the tender? The tender houses the speaker and there is already an 8 pin plug going from it to the loco??

Thanks for the help!!

ABC

Usually the decoder goes in the tender, unless the tender does not have electrical pick-up and wires going to the loco.

Pacific Northern

If the locomotive is a BLI Blue Line is will be DCC sound only, the older Paragon engines were DCC as are the newer Paragon2 engines.

I have a BLI steam engine with DCC that will not work at all on my E-Z controller. It works fine with my MRC DCC controller.
Pacific Northern

richg

Contact Matt Williamson at Broadway. You will find an email link in the below link.

http://www.broadway-limited.com/index.asp

He does answer. I just purchased a PCM EMD F3 with LokSound and had a couple questions.

Yeah, watch those details. I made sure of what I was getting by reading all the details, first.

Rich

OldTimer

Tony,
The decoder goes in the tender on mine.  If you don't have the instructions, you can find an exploded drawing and directions for installing the decoder on Broadway Limited's web site.
Jim
Just workin' on the railroad.

Tony

Thanks all, I was out of town the past week or so. I am back home working on my DCC issues. I will let you know what I come up with.

Thanks for all of the input!