News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Switching track for DCC

Started by Michael T., April 05, 2010, 05:31:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael T.

when I switch over to DCC will I need to buy all new track for it? Or does it work all the same?
I finally started on building my first layout!!!

NarrowMinded

No you don't , I just switched over. I noticed
Your other thread about just getting started. I just recommend using good quality track.

NM

ABC

Quote from: Michael T. on April 05, 2010, 05:31:15 PM
when I switch over to DCC will I need to buy all new track for it? Or does it work all the same?
If you are either throwing your turnouts manually or with the accessory output, you will need to retain a power source with an accessory output because most DCC systems to not have an accessory output. Alternatively, you can tap into your track power to power your turnouts provided you have sufficient amps to power all your turnouts and locos.  You cannot however use your DCC controller to throw standard turnouts, you must either buy DCC turnouts or install a decoder with all of your turnouts.

Jim Banner

If you are either throwing your turnouts manually or with the accessory output, you will need to retain a power source with an accessory output because most DCC systems to not have an accessory output.
[/quote]

If you are using the accessory output of your dc power pack to throw your switches, then you might want to keep your power pack for that purpose.  Alternately you can use a "wall wart" power pack to do the job.  Any pack rated 12 to 16 volts ac or dc at about 1 amp will do the job.

If you are throwing your turnouts manually and wish to continue doing so, then you will NOT need a power source in the future for this job any more than you need one now.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Michael T.

Where can I get a power source since the DCC controller will not have it?

Joe323

Depending on the amount of turnouts etc you have I would look in your LHS or on ebay for an inexpensive power pack.  I have several lying around from train sets that I no longer use for power.

Michigan Railfan

I just have a quick question involving track and DCC. Is it true that your track needs to be cleaner to operate DCC engines than DC engines? And if you are running DCC and your track is not clean, the engine will jerk?

ABC

QuoteIf you are using the accessory output of your dc power pack to throw your switches, then you might want to keep your power pack for that purpose.
If you are throwing your turnouts manually and wish to continue doing so, then you will NOT need a power source in the future for this job any more than you need one now.
Thanks for clarifying that for me Jim, I deleted a section of my post and I see how it no longer reads correctly as of course if your turnouts are manual then you obviously won't need a power source. Sorry for the confusion Michael T.

Jim Banner

Used model railroad power packs are often found a model railroad shows, swap meets, garage sales, and your local hobby shop.  Wall wart supplies often show up at second hand stores, garage sales, used computer stores and sales, and Radio Shack.

Jim

ABC

Quote from: Blink_182_Fan on April 05, 2010, 09:54:29 PM
I just have a quick question involving track and DCC. Is it true that your track needs to be cleaner to operate DCC engines than DC engines? And if you are running DCC and your track is not clean, the engine will jerk?
Typically, DCC operation requires cleaner track, but your results may vary.

Jim Banner

If your track gets dirty enough that your locomotive headlights flicker, your trains are likely to be jerky on dc and on DCC.  How bad they jerk on DCC depends on how dirty the track is and on the decoders you are using.  With some decoders, the jerkiness is worse than it would be with dc.  With most, there is little difference.  But with a few decoders, dirty track that would stop a dc locomotive dead has little or no effect on DCC operation.

Jim

NarrowMinded

QuoteI just have a quick question involving track and DCC. Is it true that your track needs to be cleaner to operate DCC engines than DC engines? And if you are running DCC and your track is not clean, the engine will jerk?

I have Just switched over to dcc and have found that all my locos now equipped with decoders run smoother then before. I have heard of some having trouble But I have had nothing but good surprises with DCC operation.

NM

Michael T.

Sorry this is so late guys but thanks for all of the information!

-Michael T.