News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Athearn Modern Box Cars-what Era?

Started by Sunshine Express, April 24, 2010, 11:17:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunshine Express

I have bought some Athearn new Modern Box Cars. My layout is roughly last of steam switchers era. These new 40ft.Athearn Box Cars have a different body profile and no walkway on the roof.Most of my stock is the older type in Bachmann,Tyco ,Athearn ,Roundhouse etc..Would these Modern type be out of place on my small country town interchange,where a steam switcher may be present,though mainly diesel on freights.

Owen C Robinson

Doneldon

Yes, the combination wouold be anachronistic.  But it's your railroad; you can do whatever you like.  If you like steamers AND modern rolling stock, I say, "Go for it!"

Sunshine Express

Thank you,nice to know a little more about them,as history plays a  large part in our love of trains.Owen Robinson
Owen C Robinson

OldTimer

Roof walks, and the ladders necessary to reach them, were banned in 1966, I believe.  It took several years to get all the cars in service modified, but I wouldn't expect to see a car with roof walks and end ladders much past 1970.
Just workin' on the railroad.

CNE Runner

I certainly agree with the 'school' that suggests that you do what you will as it is your railroad.

Regarding the law: Running boards (or roof walks...the terms are interchangeable) were banned from cars placed in service after October 1, 1966 (excluding those cars having roof hatches). All roof walks had to be removed from cars remaining in service after April 1, 1974 (again, excluding those cars with roof hatches).

As an aside: Footboards, on switching locomotives entering service after March 31, 1975, were banned. All other switching locomotives, remaining in service after September 30, 1978 had to have these appliances removed.

Again, your railroad...your rules!

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Santa Fe buff

I always love to capitalize on the fact it's your railroad.

I run ALCO PAs with a GG-1.

Cheers,
Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

PhilipCal

The first thing to remember, and it's been mentioned is, it's your railroad. OK, the 40 ft boxcars you reference, the ones without roof walks, would represent "modernized" cars, modified after Federal regulations mandated the removal of the roof walkways. In terms of historical accuracy, they'd be a stretch as steam/diesel transition rolling stock. Do you use them with steam? That's your call, and that's why it's your railroad. :)

BillD53A

The Crab Orchard & Egyptian used steam regularly into the 1980s.   The Pennsylvania RR used both PAs and GG1s on the New York & Long Branch in New Jersey into the 1960s.