Ex. NPR about to get passengers?

Started by jettrainfan, April 16, 2010, 06:32:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jettrainfan

Well, i learned the rumor from a youtube friend (same one with the E8) and he said that a high speed line was going in. They have been trying for years. i thought yea right sense he was pretty young (3-4 years younger than me i think...) So i asked my dad. He knew about it! Next day, their is an add on youtube, rail pictures.net and a whole lot other places! here is their youtube site.

http://www.youtube.com/user/LinkingOhio

Last week, i went to rocky river and 2 pieces of mow equipment were sitting on the siding! this was odd because the about yearly M.O.W. service is usually late summer to about early November. So i figured this is quite strange. Went down webb road and a piece of brand new track was sitting their! I called up my friend (he lives next to the tracks like i used to) and he said M.O.W stuff has been passing through.

As you might know, this line was owned by NPR, then NW and now NS. From my knowledge, NS ripped the second line up a decade ago or so. Does this mean that Lakewood, Rocky river, and a few other places see passengers run on this line again?

Thanks for the info.

P.S im not sure if that link refers to this line but who knows!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

Guilford Guy

Do you mean Nickel Plate? I've never seen NPR used as reporting marks. Nickel Plate Road's reporting marks are NKP.
Still, it's cool that the country is finally showing an increased interest in supporting rail travel.
Alex

pipefitter

Quote from: Guilford Guy on April 16, 2010, 08:01:16 PM
... Still, it's cool that the country is finally showing an increased interest in supporting rail travel.

I'm sure that Europe is thankful for their excellent train systems, now that all airline travel has been shut down because of the Iceland volcano :P

Robert
Grew up next to B&O's Metropolitan Branch - Silver Spring Maryland

jettrainfan

GG, i thought something looked wrong, thanks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

ABC

NPR is the reporting marks for the Northern Plains Railroad. NKP is the reporting mark for the NYC&St.L and that's not the New York Central and St. Louis, but the New York, Chicago and St. Louis Railroad commonly known as the Nickle Plate Road, who had primary connections in Cleveland and Toledo among other places.

jward

if this is what i think it is, then the line to be upgraded would be the big 4 south out of berea. the plan i am aware of calls for cleveland-columbus-cincinatti, and has been talked about as far back as the late 1970s. good to see they are finally serious about this corridor, in spite of certain politicians.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ABC

There also has been talk about running from Cleveland to Pittsburgh through the Akron/Canton/Youngstown area. And I have also heard talk about running to Detroit from a major city in Ohio. But, all of this including the Cleveland to Cincinnati line is all still speculation, but I do know that they did extensive research on the Cleveland to Pittsburgh line through government funding.

jward

most likely it would be detroit to toledo.

for the cleveland-columbus-cincinatti corridor $400 million has been allocated out of stimulus money. unless the politicians in ohio manage to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, that service will be up and running in a couple of years.

cleveland-pittsburgh is a logical extension of the keystone corridor, which currently extends philly to harrisburg. money has been allocated to come up with a plan to extend this corridor to pittsburgh, but i am not aware of funding to extend it further than that.

also as part of the stimulus, florida has gotten money to build a high speed rail line orlando to tampa, with a future extensiion to miami. and amtrak has gotten funding to replace their aem7 electrics and some older diesels. the plan calls for over 70 electrics to replace about 50 aem7s, so there will obviously be some expansion of dervice on the northeast corridor. there is also money allocated for additional accela type trains. the next few years should prove interesting.....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ABC

Jeff, I have a feeling that you might have read this from the Post-Gazette:

Though last year's Amtrak bill authorized an environmental review of high-speed passenger rail for the Pittsburgh-Cleveland corridor, Ohio's first priority is the 3C Corridor. If Ohio gets any rail money from the stimulus bill, which seems likely, that's where it's going.
Ohio Gov. Ted Strickland is asking the legislature there for money for engineering planning for the Cleveland-Pittsburgh piece. We need to meet them less than halfway. But the Pittsburgh-Cleveland piece won't get any additional money from a stimulus bill because it is not "shovel ready," a spokesman for Democratic congressman Jason Altmire of the North Hills said this week.

Bob Hagan, an Ohio state representative from Youngstown, is in a unique position to view the proceedings. He not only chairs the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, he still works semi-regularly as an engineer on CSX freight trains. He last worked Friday hauling scrap from the General Motors plant in Lordstown.
Youngstown hasn't had Amtrak service since 2005, and Mr. Hagan has been frustrated in attempts to route a Pittsburgh train through Youngstown to Cleveland. He's not focused on high-speed; any train would be welcome. "We've got to walk before we run."

I think that they were think of connecting to Detroit from the 3 Cs and possibly also stopping in Dayton and Toledo. The proposed rail line, however, will not be high speed, but diesel powered, until they get more $$$.