News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann DCC Using DC

Started by wally, April 08, 2010, 01:17:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wally

Will the Bachmann HO engines with DCC run just as well running in DC? I am thinking of buying DCC engines and running them using DC and a MRC synchro sound unit for sound, untill the budget allows for a DCC unit and sound equiped engines.Thanks Wally

ABC

The point of getting a DCC locomotive is to allow for better operation when used with a DCC system. So, the short answer is no, a DCC loco will not run as well on DC as it will on DCC. If you are going to buy a DCC loco, I suggest you remove the DCC decoder and replace it with the 2 jumper plugs included with the locomotive otherwise the loco will operate worse than a lot of DC only locos. If you are buying a DCC loco that is not in the Spectrum line or otherwise does not have an 8-pin socket installed then you would not be able to install the jumpers and thus the engine would not run quite as well. Let us know what loco you have in mind?

wally

I was thinking of the Bachman spectrum 4-4-0 and a 2-8-0.Thanks Wally

wally

Will the Bachmann DCC Command unit work as well as a MRC prodigy express  system for a small layout? I will run only the Bachmann 4-4-0 and 2-8-0 on the layout. Wally

pipefitter

Wally,

I have a couple of dozen Bachmann DCC-Equipped diesels (GP's and FT's) and also the Spectrum DCC Equipped Baldwin 2-8-0 Consolidation and DCC-Equipped SY 2-8-2 Mikado. They all run fine, smooth and quiet, on my DC-only layout without any modifications. They are designed to run on either DC or DCC. I'm like you, hoping to convert to DCC someday, but I also have a lot of loco's from the 60's through the 80's so am running DC only for now.

Robert
Grew up next to B&O's Metropolitan Branch - Silver Spring Maryland

Pacific Northern

Quote from: wally on April 08, 2010, 02:23:02 PM
Will the Bachmann DCC Command unit work as well as a MRC prodigy express  system for a small layout? I will run only the Bachmann 4-4-0 and 2-8-0 on the layout. Wally

I assume you are referring to the basic Bachmann E-Z DCC controller unit. This unit is very basic, it has very limited functions.

The MRC Prodigy Express system has many more features and allows the user to program CV's and is also upgradeable.

Pacific Northern

ABC

Quote from: pipefitter on April 08, 2010, 02:47:28 PM
I have a couple of dozen Bachmann DCC-Equipped diesels (GP's and FT's) and also the Spectrum DCC Equipped Baldwin 2-8-0 Consolidation and DCC-Equipped SY 2-8-2 Mikado. They all run fine, smooth and quiet, on my DC-only layout without any modifications. They are designed to run on either DC or DCC. I'm like you, hoping to convert to DCC someday, but I also have a lot of loco's from the 60's through the 80's so am running DC only for now.
The Bachmann DCC units run fine on DC, but run better on DCC after you adjust CVs to your liking. There is no way that a DCC loco will run as good on DC as it will if you run it with a DCC system with all the CVs altered. I never said nor am I saying that the locos will run poorly, but they won't run as good as if you had DCC, but a way to improve their DC operation is to pull the decoders and install the jumpers which you can do with both the spectrum 4-4-0 and 2-8-0.

Jim Banner

If you run a decoder equipped locomotive on dc, it will usually require a bit higher starting voltage before it starts to move and it will not run quite as fast at maximum throttle compared to the same locomotive running on dc without a decoder.  Neither effect is particularly bothersome.  Having to turn the throttle up a bit more to start the locomotive is something you very quickly get used to.  And if, like me, you run your trains at realistic speeds, having to run them at 3/4 throttle instead of 1/2 throttle is not a problem at all.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.