Anyone know if they ever plan to do the 2-8-4 or 2-10-2 in N?

Started by 2-8-8-0, April 09, 2010, 04:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2-8-8-0

Just what the title says. Bachmann managed to get their sand dome in the right place for C&O's 2-8-4s (unlike another manufacturer *cough* LifeLike *cough*) and it would be a nice addition to your C&O N scale line *wink nudge nudge wink* and a nice N 2-10-2 would just be useful on sooo many levels.

DO eeeeeeet!

David Leonard

I believe that LL did the C&O sand dome placement correctly on their HO 2-8-4's, so it's not just a case of who makes it, but how much regard the manufacturer has for N scale. If you want a correct C&O Kanawha (sp?) just renumber an incorrect one to the high 2600 series (ex-PM).  For example: http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/co/co-s2697dsa.jpg

2-8-8-0

Yes, the LifeLike one is right for the ex PM locos, and I think the NKP ones as well. But, the HO Bachmann one is right for C&O. A renumbered LL isnt the end of the world; its a good looking engine. But that sand dome (and a few other smaller details) on the LL one is just too obvious a difference for me to be real happy with it. The PM ones didnt come on the C&O roster until very late on the clock for C&O steam (much later than my period, actually) but, one of them is much better than no Kanawha at all.

It isnt a huge deal to me (or probably Bachmann) as one does exist in N, i.e., the Lifelike one. The Lifelike seems to not have sold as hot as they wished (remember Walther's blowout of them) and I have my doubts if LL will do another run of them. Bachmann's 2-8-4 in N would bring to four the number of accurate locos in N for C&O; the H4, H5, K4 (the C&O K4, sorry PRR guys) and the J2.

And the 2-10-2 in N would still be great.

dtpowell

You've got your wish folks... ConCor makes a 2-10-2. I know it's produced in
PRR (several versions), C&O, and N&W. Maybe more.

I think Walthers is still producing th LifeLike 2-8-4, but not certain.

Check thier web sites or do an on line search for both.

hobo1

walthers ll proto loco is a good loco. It has flaws to it. walthers is aware of the flaws and is going to redesign the loco to fix these flaws. I have one and it runs smooth and quiet. Its not a great puller[no traction tires] and other minor issues. the loco is the correct prototype

skipgear

Quote from: dtpowell on April 11, 2010, 10:58:07 AM

I think Walthers is still producing th LifeLike 2-8-4, but not certain.

Check thier web sites or do an on line search for both.

The ConCor 2-10-2 is wrong in so many ways. If I remember correctly the wheelbase is over a 1/4" longer than any 2-10-2 produced should measure. The drivers are spaced much to far apart and are the reason for the stretched frame. This makes the loco look very disproportionate (sp?). I have one downstairs that I am working on for a friend. I will do a side by side comparision later to the 2-10-2 I built that is the correct length (at least for a B&O S-1). It has other problems also and if you get one that runs good, it runs very good, but most don't, thus the reason I am working on my friends.

Quote from: hobo1 on April 11, 2010, 11:17:54 AM
walthers ll proto loco is a good loco. It has flaws to it. walthers is aware of the flaws and is going to redesign the loco to fix these flaws. I have one and it runs smooth and quiet. Its not a great puller[no traction tires] and other minor issues. the loco is the correct prototype

The Walthers Berkshire is the correct prototype for the NKP engine, which is what they used to take measurements from. The C&O version, which was more numerous had a few changes, most importantly (visually), the sand box placement. We can only hope that Walthers is going to re-issue another run of Berkshires with a C&O correction and traction tires but considering the last 2 runs had to be blown out at firesale prices, I don't think it will happen any time soon. Our Walthers rep said there are no further plans for N scale steam in the near future which is sad because they have quite a few nice HO loco's that could be copied in N scale that I would buy.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

johnTom

All these would be nice,however I would rather see Bachmann concentrate on the locomotive models they gave up on The 4-6-0 and The 2-10-0(Russian Decapod) and get those out first.
I like U.S. HISTORY, railroad history.etc...

Tom

Williamson

Quote from: 2-8-8-0 on April 10, 2010, 11:51:35 AM
Yes, the LifeLike one is right for the ex PM locos, and I think the NKP ones as well. But, the HO Bachmann one is right for C&O.

The Lifelike HO Berk was done correctly for both C&O and Virginian. They even tooled up a correct VGN tender for it.

For us N scalers, Walthers decided that one size fits all is good enuff. >:(

Mark

Williamson

Quote from: dtpowell on April 11, 2010, 10:58:07 AM

This despite the fact that N&W never rostered a 2-10-2. ::)

Mark

in_eden

Quote from: skipgear on April 11, 2010, 12:18:35 PM

The ConCor 2-10-2 is wrong in so many ways. If I remember correctly the wheelbase is over a 1/4" longer than any 2-10-2 produced should measure. The drivers are spaced much to far apart and are the reason for the stretched frame. This makes the loco look very disproportionate (sp?). I have one downstairs that I am working on for a friend. I will do a side by side comparision later to the 2-10-2 I built that is the correct length (at least for a B&O S-1). It has other problems also and if you get one that runs good, it runs very good, but most don't, thus the reason I am working on my friends.

The Walthers Berkshire is the correct prototype for the NKP engine, which is what they used to take measurements from. The C&O version, which was more numerous had a few changes, most importantly (visually), the sand box placement. We can only hope that Walthers is going to re-issue another run of Berkshires with a C&O correction and traction tires but considering the last 2 runs had to be blown out at firesale prices, I don't think it will happen any time soon. Our Walthers rep said there are no further plans for N scale steam in the near future which is sad because they have quite a few nice HO loco's that could be copied in N scale that I would buy.

It's too bad that Walthers won't update the Berkshire. My pair run as smoothly as any other loco I own, but are a little power starved. 16 box cars and a caboose on a good day. Oddly my first run 717 pulls 4 more cars than my second run 765. Go figure.
A traction tire and a shorter draw bar would be nice. And DCC.

Making the C&O adjustments really wouldn't be all that difficult, especially moving the headlamp down. I mean, if Bachmann can do it for their Heavy Mountain...

2-8-8-0

My guess on the next "major" steam for us eastern modelers is either a K-4 (the demand is HUGE, someone IS going to produce this), an H-6 (bachmann has the mechanism, may as well do the whole trifecta...especially since they have the right tender, too. And maybe on the third run theyll add a TT) or an eastern simple mallet of some type (2-8-8-4 or 2-6-6-6, both would appeal to peoples love of huge steam; Id be thrilled with either, tho id bet on the 2-6-6-6. One model would be "correct" for 2 roads). After the troubles with IM and the AC-12, I hope it isnt them

A 10 coupled something should be higher on the list than it apparently is, and since im greedy, i still want a GOOD C&O 2-8-4. That sand dome on the LL one just sticks out way too much, sadly.

johnTom

With respect to the B. & A. EIRE and The P.S. & N. RR (PITTSBURGH SHAWMUT and NORTHERN RR) had a 2-10-2 their 2-10-2 was No. 98. I have heard that the mighty erie rr and the B. & A. RR had berkshires.    

Tom

johnTom

In my last post here about the Berkshire's 2-8-4, no I wasn't referring to the Bangor and Aroostook RR I was referring to The Boston and Albany RR a nyc subsidiary .
And yes even the little P.S. & N. RR had a 2-10-2.

Tom

dtpowell

I'd really like to see a new upgraded Berkshire 2-8-4 produced. Maybe this time we'll see some new road names. The one I want the most is the NKP 765, but lettered for the Norfolk and Western as it was for the final run of the Pocahontas. 

As for the 2-10-2. When I hear some speak about one in "N" scale, the first loco I think of is the one made by Con-Cor. As Skipgear said in his posting. It's wrong in so many ways. It's still a 2-10-2, but what prototype? I'd love to see a 2-10-2 a B&O 2-10-2 BIG SIX..! With Bachmann's Vanderbilt tender they almost have one. (notice the tongue in check) Now for the main part of the loco Bachmann... Please?
I promise to buy at least two! And while I'm at it. How about a heavy Mountain in B&O?

ABC

People saying they will buy 2 or 3 or even 10 is not going to persuade Bachmann to make something. Now if you're going to buy ten thousand, I'm sure Bachmann can work something out with you. At any rate, you can always hope, who knows what will happen.