what is the best way to weather a N&W j class

Started by RLS, April 11, 2010, 10:35:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RLS

i wanted to know how to weather my N&W j class #612 with the simpilist process possible

(pictures will help)

my engine pulls freight. it runs like a clock.

also mr. bach-man if you have suggestions pleas tell me  :)

OldTimer

In the late 50's when I was in what passed for middle school (they called it Jr. High back then) I lived in Kenova, WV and saw these engines often.  They, and the maroon and gold passenger cars they hauled were always virtually spotless.  I'd think just a light dusting of the trucks and running gear would probably do it.  If I remember correctly, the N&W had a reputation for taking really good care of its equipment.  Memories filtered through 50 years of haze...if your's are different, please share.
Old Timer

Just workin' on the railroad.

Nigel

it should look like it is freshly out of the wash.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

RLS

my locomotive runs on a desert free lance layout so it is going to get dirty

ABC

Here's a list of all the states N&W had trackage in as far as I can tell: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Missouri, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia, and there may be one more that I'm missing, but none of the states have anything close to desert like conditions. The furthest south they go is North Carolina and Missouri and the furthest west is Iowa.

RLS

so what do you use to weather a steam engine

pipefitter

A little OT, but I remember one of the fan trips behind the N&W 611 from Alexandria to Lynchburg Virginia and back, about this time of year. Heavy pollen was in the air and as the Northern sped down the Southern RWY main line the stack exhaust was blasting small branches off the trees that were heavy with new growth and hung low over the tracks. (I always got a good spot at one of the baggage car doors). By the time she got to Lynchburg, she was yellow! :D

Robert
Grew up next to B&O's Metropolitan Branch - Silver Spring Maryland

Guilford Guy

Airbrush shades of gray on the running gear, firebox, and truck areas. Powders work as well but you'll need to add a clear coat over them when you're done if you choose to go that route.
Alex

RLS

pipefitter

Quote from: RLS on April 12, 2010, 09:12:38 PM
611 was yellow from all the pollen ???

Yes, just like my formerly red car last week which had sat in the driveway for several days. Of course my car was not shaking all the trees from here to Lynchburg like the 611 had done. (As usual at the beginning of the trip in Alexandria, 611 was clean and shiney)

I would not suggest you weather your loco this way though :D

Robert
Grew up next to B&O's Metropolitan Branch - Silver Spring Maryland