News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Changing Road Name on New Loco

Started by Sunshine Express, April 10, 2010, 08:49:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunshine Express

I have successfully put decals on plain black new steamers,but now wish to change the name on one with it,s original lettering on the tender.What is the best way to do this,to look original ?
Owen C Robinson

ABC

Use a pencil or ink eraser to remove previous lettering.

Guilford Guy

I've used erasers, however they to alter the finish. I haven't tried this on a Bachmann Steamer, but on a Walthers diesel I liberally brushed a decal solvent onto the lettering and after a few minutes worked at the lettering with a q-tip. It removed the decals without altering the paint or finsih.
Alex

ABC

Quote from: Guilford Guy on April 10, 2010, 09:44:58 PM
I've used erasers, however they to alter the finish.
Whether it alters the finish is largely dependent on the eraser you use as all erasers are not alike, there is a good variety of erasers each composed a bit differently, and ink erasers are typically rougher than pencil erasers. It is largely trial and error to find an eraser that works with out ruining anything. I have used an eraser on multiple occasions twice on Bachmann locos without ruining the finish. The decal solvent can also ruin the finish if you leave it on more than a minute or so.

OldTimer

Every case is different, but depending on how much lettering you have to remove, you might want to consider stripping the tender and starting from scratch.  There are a couple of good strippers available--check the paint section in your Walthers catalog.  Whether you strip or just remove existing lettering, you need to apply a gloss finish before you decal, then after everything is nice and dry, you can apply your matte finish.
Just workin' on the railroad.

pdlethbridge

Or you could paint over it with polly s engine black.

jward

i've always used denatured alcohol and a q tip to rub out the old lettering.

keep in mind that you'll want to paint the tender with gloss cote before you apply the decals. they don't adhere right to unpainted plastic.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

hobo1

use a mr clean eraser and water, use plenty of water and take your time.If you do it right you wont remove the black paint.

Sunshine Express

Thank you all--greatly appreciated. It is a fairly small name logo to erase,Boston&Maine in a boxed  outline  Owen
Owen C Robinson

Guilford Guy

Quote from: Sunshine Express on April 11, 2010, 05:18:56 PM
Thank you all--greatly appreciated. It is a fairly small name logo to erase,Boston&Maine in a boxed  outline  Owen
MURDER!
Alex

sparkyjay31

Change from a B&M to another road name?  Why would one want to do that?!
Southern New Hampshire around 1920 in HO
NCE Power Cab DCC
Long live B&M steam!

ABC

Quote from: sparkyjay31 on April 11, 2010, 07:11:42 PM
The question you should be asking is why did they even make it in B&M in the first place, if everyone is just going to re-letter it anyway, may as well switch out the B&M for an unlettered version as it is obvious no one wants anything with B&M on the side.  ;D

sparkyjay31

Quote from: ABC on April 11, 2010, 07:23:48 PM
Quote from: sparkyjay31 on April 11, 2010, 07:11:42 PM
The question you should be asking is why did they even make it in B&M in the first place, if everyone is just going to re-letter it anyway, may as well switch out the B&M for an unlettered version as it is obvious no one wants anything with B&M on the side.  ;D

Ouch ABC.  Very ouch.
Southern New Hampshire around 1920 in HO
NCE Power Cab DCC
Long live B&M steam!

uncbob

Take it off with 0000 steel wool
Repaint it gloss black
Apply new decals
Spry with dullcote