maximizing staging in a small space

Started by buzz, April 12, 2010, 02:32:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doneldon

CNE -

Why not just use a 1x4 from the lumber yard, with wood or metal arches on the ends for handles, and lath for safety along the sides.  Sound like cheap to me, and easy to build.

-- D

CNE Runner

Don - Yes, you probably could construct a cassette with 'lumber yard supplies'. A concern that immediately comes to mind is railing (or re-railing) rolling stock on the cassette. The Peco unit has specially designed ends to accomplish this task. The Peco Loco Lifter sits on top of the railheads - allowing easy transfer of electricity.

I should point out that there are numerous designs, for cassettes, out there in model railroad land and using a Peco Loco Lifter is just one (of many) suggestion. After several attempts, at other methods, I found Jack Trollope's use of the Peco product to be the easiest for me. Personally, I think if one wanted a cassette longer than 24" they should resort to another method (I'm sure the Peco Loco Lifter's side frames would only handle a limited amount of flex unless they were reinforced.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"