News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

teck ii

Started by jeff325, April 20, 2010, 08:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeff325

how do I hook up my teck II loco motion 1500? seriously I bought this hreat train stuff at a yard sale for (train lovers close your eyes) 3 bucks and I dont know how the power hooks up

OldTimer

You need two wires from your Tech II power pack to the rails. 

Look at the back of your power pack.  You should see a row of six screws.  Two are labeled Variable DC, two are labeled Accessories AC and the last two are labeled Fixed DC.   18 gauge wire will work fine.  If you don't have some small wire around the house, and have a hobby shop in town, they can fix you up.  Or, you can use electrical zip cord, like you'd use to wire a lamp.  Connect a wire to each of the two screws marked Variable DC.

Look at each section of track.  Depending on the brand that you have, at least one piece (probably curved) will be different.  It will have a rectangle sticking out from one edge with two screws.  Attach the other end of your wires to that terminal section.

Turn the large knob as far counter-clockwise as you can.  Plug in your power pack, place the locomotive on the track, and slowly turn the large knob clockwise.  The engine should start moving.  Good Luck.
Just workin' on the railroad.

Joe323

What would fixed DC be for?

OldTimer

MRC, as well as some other companies, made hand-held DC throttles.  Those throttles did not contain their own power supply, but could take the fixed DC output from a power pack and make it available as variable DC to the track.

You didn't ask but while we're at it, the AC is generally used to power switch machines so you can throw your turnouts (track switches) by remote control.
Just workin' on the railroad.

Joe323

I know about the AC I use it on my layout