News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Research about model trains

Started by Michael T., April 12, 2010, 09:15:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael T.

Does anyone know where I can get some good information on the History of "Model Trains?" I am doing a research paper on them.

Thanks
I finally started on building my first layout!!!

richg

Use various terms, words, for Google searches. Also do a Google Book search. Try Wikipedia also. The 'Net is loaded with information about model railroading and there is info about the different facets of model railroading over the years.
You will have to do some reading but it will give you a lot of experience in searching the 'Net.
The biggest challenge will be in figuring out how to ask the question.
Also, you will have to figure out the difference between opinion and actual facts concerning the evolution of the hobby.
I have been doing Google searches for some years and have gained a lot of useful information.

Rich

Michael T.

I finally started on building my first layout!!!

Woody Elmore

The Train Collectors of America may be a good source for information. There are histories of Lionel and American Flyer on Line. Also, Railroad Model Craftsman magazine usually has a very interesting article every month.

The Greenberg Guides may be of some help. There information is out there - it just takes some perserverence.

trainmaster67

Look for "The Complete Book on Model Railroading", it covers alot about the history of it all & the to-do's.

Joe323

if your up for a road trip visit the National  Toy Train Museum near Lancaster PA. While you are there take a ride on the Strasbourg RR, Visit the Railroad Museum of PA, the Choo Choo Barn and stay over night in one Cabooses at The Red Caboose Motel.