Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

will bachman branchline models work

Started by RLS, April 13, 2010, 07:16:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RLS

will branchline models work with united states bachman track systems???  :P

Chris350

are you referring to these folks? http://www.branchline-trains.com/index.html If so I don't see why they would not.  Perhaps some additional information might be in order......

Pacific Northern

Pacific Northern

Chris350

Quote from: Pacific Northern on April 13, 2010, 08:53:02 PM
http://www.bachmann.co.uk/past_and_present.php

The OP is refering to Bachmann Branchline, not the USA Branchline
ah ha see there's the info that was missing.

OldTimer

Bachmann's Branchline trains are OO scale, 4mm/ft.  HO scale is 3.5mm/ft.  But...for reasons that I have never bothered to investigate, the most common track gauge for OO scale models is the same as HO, allowing OO scale modelers to use widely available prefab HO track.  I don't know how Europeans feel about this, but most Americans don't seem to be bothered by it.  I suspect this is because "real" European trains are generally smaller than American trains so the larger scale models LOOK right to Americans.  Your Branchline equipment should operate fine on EZ track.  If you're interested, you can do a search on NEM to find sites that will explain the generally accepted European standards.
Jim
Just workin' on the railroad.

bobwrgt

The Bachmann Branchline trains in OO will run on USA Ho track. I have a few and also Hornby OO gauge.
You have to watch what model Branchline you purchase. Several of the older ones had the older split frame chassie design not like today's Spectrum steam. No tender pick up.The modelers in the UK like Bachmann but for me i think Hornby engines are better.
For German engines Bachmann also ownes Liliput. Some great stuff.

Bob

SteamGene

Bachmann's old Hogwarts Express sets were OO running on Bachmann HO track.  They work fine.  I've also run them on the club layout's HO gauge flextrack with no problem.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Cooped

If anyone is interested the reason British model trains are 1/76 (OO) but run on 1/87 (HO) track is because when people first tried to make models of British trains in the 1920s they found that the motor technology of the time would not fit into 1/87 scale versions of British trains as they were somewhat smaller than US prototypes. So they decided to keep the gauge the same but increase the scale slightly to allow the motors (clockwork originally) to fit.

Most Brits that I know, including myself really don't care too much. I run OO and HO together and the difference is almost unnoticeable, especially given the prototype size difference. The just look a little closer on the table than they would in real life.

Dan
Yes dear, I'm looking at trains again........

PasqualeCS96

I'm pretty sure the Branchline models would work on American track systems as long there the same scale like HO/OO

Cooped

They are different scales (1/76 vs 1/87) but the same gauge, i.e. OO scale WILL run on US HO scale track. Voltage used is also the same.

Bottom line is yes UK Bachmann Branchline trains WILL run on US HO scale track using US controllers. Should also be able to run US DCC, but I don't have experience of this, only DC.

Dan

ebtnut

One caveat about running on US HO track - A lot of the European OO equipment uses NEM flange and wheel standards.  The flanges are considerably deeper than the US RP-25 wheels.  The NEM equipment will operate OK on Code 100 track, like EZTrack, but will give problems on smaller code rail.  That may be a consideration.  I don't know off-hand if the Branchline trains have the deep flanges or not.

Cooped

Wheel flanges are slightly larger, but I run on code 70 with no problems.