INSTALLING A DECODER IN LARGE SCALE CABOOSE

Started by whitepass, April 07, 2010, 09:44:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitepass

Has anyone installed a decoder in Spectrum large scale caboose. If so which one would you recommend?

NarrowMinded

I installed the stock decoder from a Bachmann railtruck into my on30 caboose. your just using it for lights so I would guess you could get away with using any inexpensive decoder like Bachmann sells without sound,  just be sure of your voltage output for the lights, the rail truck decoder light output was low voltage so I just swapped the caboose light out for 2 low volt L.E.D.'s like the rail trucks headlights.

I just got into DCC so i don't know if they have a cheaper decoder for this or not, this one was left over when I added sound to the rail truck.

NM

Udo

Hi together,
I have installed ESU Lokpilot FX decoders in two of my caboose.
I have a small 2 Axle and a bigger 4 axle one (Bachmann kit).
With that decoder you can operate a lot of lights independently (see the manual of the decoder, downloadable on the ESU webpage) and also make a firebox flicker in the furnace.

Have fun,

Udo

NarrowMinded

With or without a decoder You can make a cheap fire flicker by using the self flickering led from a cheap electric tealight if you use it with 12-16 volts output you just have to solder on a 680ohm or slightly higher resistor on one leg.

I use the ones that glow orange they look better then the ones that glow yellow.

NM

whitepass

Thanks for the replies. My caboose has the  8 pin socket. I had installed a Digitrax DH165IP, which is 8 pin , programmed the CV1 to my designated address for the caboose and........ nothing happened.???

NarrowMinded

Not sure how the plug is on your units but are you sure you don't have the plug backwards?

NM

I hard wired my extra decoder in and wired a small gear reduced motor to mine for an animated figure I am working on that is going to wave. maybe you need a motor for the decoder to function.