News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Slip sliding away - ON30 oily locos.

Started by Mark Damien, April 15, 2010, 05:50:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Damien

G'Day,

I have received five new ON30 locos in the mail over the past month.
One was a 2-8-0 from a rival company & the others, all Bachmann, a 4-4-0, two 4-6-0's & a 2-6-6-2.

I am very happy with their running & detail , but have noticed that each time one arrives my track requires a complete clean, suffering from a good dose of OIL!

Sadly 'once bitten, twice shy', turned into 'fool me once, shame on you; fool me three or  more times, shame on me'.

Just today my HO 'SY' arrived, but this time I cleaned the wheels first, & yes they were oily. I would guess they have some new, & rather generous staff at the factory.

You may have had this problem before, but I thought I'd bring it up, just in case.
'Cause who likes cleaning oily track.....
Even if the prototypes never existed, someone would have created Model Trains anyway.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Steams the Dream
Cheers.
Mark

Jim Banner

I wonder if they oil the wheels on purpose.  Oil can keep the wheel treads bright and shiny even during shipping and storage in a bad atmosphere.  Oil will also help clean the customer's tracks which avoids him thinking that he has a poor runner when it is only track dirt.  I don't mean to imply that your tracks were dirty but the oil did get you clean them at least four times. ;D

At least they don't arrive encased in Cosmoline.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.