News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Its Here

Started by Joe323, April 16, 2010, 10:08:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe323

My EZ command just arrived  I spent last night while my Finance' was working a double shift preparing the wiring for its arrival. Hopefully It will just need to be plugged in and programmed.

full maxx

the controller needs no programing just the locos as all Bachmann dcc locos come programed to #3...other manufactures I'm not sure about but just watch the dvd it's really easy
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

ABC

Quote from: full maxx on April 16, 2010, 12:09:12 PM
all Bachmann dcc locos come programed to #3...other manufactures I'm not sure about but just watch the dvd it's really easy
Other manufacturer's usually have the default address set to either the cab number or 03 or 0003.

Joe323

Thanks for advice.  I am in the office so I cannot work on it till tommorrow. I'll let you know how it goes

Joe

Jim Banner

Quote from: ABC on April 16, 2010, 01:30:21 PM
Other manufacturer's usually have the default address set to either the cab number or 03 or 0003.

I fear there is a misunderstanding of just what a default address is.  For a decoder, it is basically the address the decoder will respond to when brand new from the decoder manufacturer and/or when reset to its factory settings.  For a more thorough discussion, see this link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Default_%28computer_science%29

Many decoders are programmed to the cab number when installed in locomotives.  But when reset, these decoders default to address 03 as mandated by NMRA.  Decoders not installed in locomotives are shipped set to the default address 03.  There are exceptions, such as two digit decoders installed in locomotives with four digit cab numbers.  For more information, see this link:
http://www.nmra.org/standards/DCC/standards_rps/rp922.html

The four digit address 0003 is not a valid default address for decoders.  In fact, for many systems, it is not a valid address at all.  Other systems do allow the use of 2 digit address 03 and 4 digit address 0003 as valid, yet different addresses, much to the confusion of unwary users.  And just to complete the confusion, some systems allow you to enter the 4 digit address 0003 and automatically convert it to 2 digit address 03 without any indication that they have done so, creating the impression that 0003 is a default address.

Bottom line, the default address for decoders is 03.  But when factory installed in a locomotive, it has probably been preprogrammed to the cab number for your convenience.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

ABC

Quote from: Jim Banner on April 16, 2010, 11:40:58 PMI fear there is a misunderstanding of just what a default address is. 
Thanks for clarifying that Jim, it seems I am always causing confusion one way or another.

Joe323

Well I installed the EZ Command last night on the layout and right away noticed a couple of differences First everything runs at full power even when nit moving my analog engines running on address 0 hum even at full speed.  I' am afraid to run them long term on the layout Will  they overheat? Luckily my Loving Finance" and family has offered to buy it fore me for My birthday Xmas Hanukkah Etc.  I but in a request for a switcher right away.  So far only one thing I do not like theres no on/off switch on the command center itself.

ABC

Leaving DC locos sitting on a DCC layout is a bad idea and running them for extended periods of time could hypothetically cause problems, but I have never had a problem, however a by product is that humming noise and there isn't anything you can do to get rid of it short of converting your DC locos to DCC. Basically whatever you do, do not leave DC locos on live track for more than a minute or you could ruin them.

Joe323

Yes they hum so I'm going to make a trip to my LHS to get some DCC Lomotives sometime after my trip to Chicago this week Overall I like the realism that DCC adds to my small layout

Joe323

maybe om stretching but could a silent decorder disturb our dog if it's that high pitched?

OldTimer

Joe, you'll have to ask your dog.  Mine don't seem to mind my Digitrax decoders.    ;)
Old Timer
Just workin' on the railroad.

Joe323

Bruce Replied woof woof :)

Jim Banner

My two dogs do not seem to mind the ultrasonic "silent" decoders I use.  I suspect the frequency is at the upper edge of their hearing.  Now bats could be a whole different story.  Someday I'll have to run trains up in a belfry and see what happens.

Come to think of it, I haven't had a mouse problem in the train room for the last few years.  Do you think ...?

Jim

Joe323

I have one other Question about EZ Command.  There is no on off switch on the Command Center.  I am thinking about plugging it into a surge protector (Along with the 2 MRC analog controllers I am using for lighting switching etc).  Is there any reason why I should not do this?  Seems to me there is no reason to havethe power pack running 24/7 while I'm working sleeping etc.

Jim Banner

I do that with my Digitrax equipment and have never had a problem.  And I seem to remember Yampa Bob saying he used a power bar to turn everything on and off at once, including his E-A Command.

Jim