News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Turn outs with green wires???

Started by mephistopheles1964, April 17, 2010, 09:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mephistopheles1964

I bought my son, the easy first layout for his birthday and he worked on it pretty good the little one.  The box came with a lot of green wires and even more green wires under the turn outs too.  So, my question is, are the turn outs manually controlled or can the EZ Command controller be set to turn them?  Thanks  Brad and Jacob

jgaynor

Brad and Jacob
if you are talking about the EZ track turnouts you would need the DCC equipped turn out if you want to control them through you command station or just set up the ones you already have that are manually thrown
I do it all for the love of my son Cameron

lwmlwm44

If there are green wires with the turnouts that are attached to the switches it sounds like you have electric turnouts that need to be connected to a different ho transformer.   The EZ command controller doesn't have a connection to hook up for accessories like switches and such.    I use a older HO Transformer and connect the switches to it.

The DCC Controlled switches do nothave any wires attached to them and control is thru the track like the engines are.     

Am sure your little one is having a grand time.

Larry

ABC

You can power your current turnouts with the E-Z Command System however, the E-Z Command System cannot throw these turnouts, and you would have to tap in to the track power and then you may run out of amps depending on how many accessories (lights and turnouts) and locos you are trying to power. So, the cheapest solution is an old wall-wort power supply or an old HO power source from a previous layout.

mephistopheles1964

Thank you for your help in understanding my situation.  I now know who to come too for good help and rapid response ;D

Doneldon

Use a separate power source for your turnouts, lights and accessories.  While it's true you can tap into your on-track DCC, as ABC says, you won't be happy doing that.  Throwing turnouts could cause hesitation in your locomotives, especially with EZ DCC, and you'll soon find yourself incinerating your 12 volt bulbs with the higher DCC voltage.  Those little bulbs are pricey and they won't last long when over powered.  (Hint: try slightly underpowering them and they'll last forever with little or no visual difference.)