News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

34 ft flatcar

Started by ebtbob, April 09, 2010, 09:35:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebtbob

Good evening All,

I am working on an elongated flatcar for my On30 railroad.   It is made by cutting two frames and decks and then splicing them together.   The photos I am enclosing show an unfinished car.    To finish the product I am waiting on some Banta flatcar decks.   The car will then be weathered.   I am not sure what I will letter it yet,  but three letters come to mind.   An "e",  a "b" and a "t" might be a good choice.

first pic shows comparison between a standard Bachman On30 flatcar frame and the new elongated frame

This pic is the elongated flatcar.   It does not look like much now because it is nowhere near being finished.    This pic shows the comparison between the standard On30 flatcar from Bachman and the new,  longer car.

The next pic shows the car upside down so you can see the extra weight I have added.   Look closely at the truck bolsters and you will see that each has two .177 caliber pellets added to the bolsters for weight.   The only freight cars in On30 from Bachmann that you cannot do this to is the two bay hoppers.

Hopefully,  before the end of this month,  I will be able to show you photos of the finished car.  Just waiting on those Banta wood decks.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

LurchBird

ebtbob,
Looks good! I'll keep an eye out for your progress.

Mark

Tomcat

Great job on this!
I have done a similar conversion by joining two tank car frames and tanks together in order to get something similar to the long tank cars which ran up in Maine. Must get the coupler problem cleared as this results in a messy curve problem...

Cheers, Tom

ebtbob

Well.........shame on me.......this car is actually 30ft long in scale not 34 feet.   Hmmmmmm......maybe time to consider another flatcar.......
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

d. calloway

These are fun projects! I built some 32ft and37ft cars for the ET&WNC. (tweetise) I used balsa wood for the sides and decking. Stained the deck. The side pockets and detail came from Grandt Line. These are easy to do and they look great with my ten wheelers. I will soon be starting some 37ft boxcars to go with them. Micro mark makes the siding. Bachmann has made it easy and fun to model narrow minded!! good luck on your project!! Dwayne Calloway, North Carolina