News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Riverossi Coupler Conversion

Started by Santa Fe buff, April 18, 2010, 02:55:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Santa Fe buff

Hello all,
I just got my hands on a never used Pennsylvania GG-1 in Tuscan scheme. Obviously, by the title, it's made by Riverossi. It works just fine, and it's great! The only thing is the couplers. Understanding they're not an American company, and this not being used, has those Riverossi couplers. I want to know if I can convert it to knuckle couplers. I was thinking on snipping the coupler shank from the truck off (seeing sure that anything held by the coupler shank isn't snipped) and just placing a coupler box that lined up with the opening. Or is there a conversion kit out there?

Anyone tried this? I love this GG-1, it appears you can run the positive polarity through a live catenary and run the negative polarity on the left side rail. I got it for $25.00, and it's a real snag from a great friend of our family. I feel real bad for him. I got great pricing because not only do we know him, he trying to get rid of his collection. He's had to tear down an entire basement layout based in Chicago's steel mills. He's had three heart failures, and is currently threatened by kidney stones. I say it's great, considering it says he paid $100.00 for it when it was out and in production.

Back to the point, can I convert it's couplers? I'm going to try, but no until I discuss and review some ideas with you guys.

Cheers,
Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

SteamGene

To begin, go to the Kadee website and see if they have a recommendation for the Rivarossi GG-1.  BTW, don't be too surprised if the locomotive doesn't haul a very long train.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

jbsmith

found these,,they are for IHC GG-1, which in turn is a repackaged Rivarossi most likely.

Older
http://kadee.com/conv/pdf/i136.pdf

New
http://kadee.com/conv/pdf/i151.pdf

from here
http://kadee.com/conv/hocc20.htm

Santa Fe buff

Gene,
Thanks for the info, I don't want very long trains anyway. I have only a 4'x8'.

jbsmith,
I got to try that!

Thanks all!

Cheers,
Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

Jim Banner

Joshua, it is possible that you got a great price for all the reasons you mentioned plus one more:  he wanted you to have it.  Very often people who are forced to give up their trains would rather give them away or sell them for a low price to someone who they know will take care of them rather than get full price from someone they fear might trash them in a week.  It is like having a pet that circumstances force you to get rid of - your first concern is finding it a good home.

Would you please pass along my sympathy to your family friend.  I am all too aware of how heart wrenching it is to tear down a model railroad that has taken years to build.  Somehow parts of it are associated with mile stones of your life, good and bad.  "I added this the year my daughter was born.  I added that when I was recovering from my first heat attack.  I moved this to keep the new kitten off it, I changed that because my knees wouldn't let me crawl under it any more."  Tearing down an old model railroad is almost like tearing up your life history.  I haven't had to do it to my own layout yet, but I have helped others to do it to theirs.  And sometimes both of us have ended up in tears.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

SteamGene

Damn, Jim - you know how to hurt a guy  - even if it was not intentional.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Santa Fe buff

Jim,
I'll pass along your sympathy. I'm going to visit him again this weekend (I think).

Cheers,
Joshua
- Joshua Bauer