News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Smoke Units

Started by Jay Newman, April 23, 2010, 01:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Newman

Would like to know what smoke unit is recommended to fit on/in the On30 4-4-0 - 28302. 

Thanks

ABC

None, it will throw off the weight distribution of the loco and the fluid will coat your track.

jbsmith

Depends on who you ask.
It is a bit like asking 24 people "what is the best way to cook up a pot of chili?"
You will get 24 different answers.

Some people like smoke units in their trains.
Others are rabidly against any smoke units at all.

It is YOUR choice, YOUR train, and NO ONE else makes the decision for you.

To answer your question, you may want look up "Seuthe Smoke units" on google or a like search engine.
There are lots of articles about them.
The Seuthe site itself is in German, so have fun there, unless you happen to be fluent in German.
Have fun researching.

Doneldon

Although the balance issue varies from installation to installation I'm with ABC on this one.  Smoke units cause more problems than are justified.  The do coat your track, they coat everything else, attracting dust, and they don't look like smoke in the first place.  If you want smoke add it in Photoshop!  Plus, the photoshop smoke won't mess up your pike or the walls and ceilings of your train room.  It's a real b***h trying to seal in the oil (smoke fluid is essentially mineral oil) so you can repaint.

D

NarrowMinded

Hi I had mentioned this before on another thread. to give my kids a thrill with smoke. I dripped a drop of candle wax down my stack to seal it and still allow the screw to be removed, then I crush up pieces of dry ice and drop them down the stack, add a drop of water and presto-smokeO and it leaves no oily film. does not last long but neither do smoke units.  Get a balloon stack and you can get more capacity.

NM

I'll try and pick up some dry ice this weekend and make a video.

mabloodhound

This is the Seuthe units http://www.eurobahntrains.com/product_listing.asp?cat=A&brand=Seuthe&gauge=All
Model Powers smoke unit http://www.rcslot.com/pc-radio-control-slot-cars/MDP11.html

A novel approach for smoke-scented http://www.megasteam.com./
You'll find more info if you Google smoke generator.
8)
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

jbsmith

Quote from: NarrowMinded on April 24, 2010, 01:26:47 AM
Hi I had mentioned this before on another thread. to give my kids a thrill with smoke. I dripped a drop of candle wax down my stack to seal it and still allow the screw to be removed, then I crush up pieces of dry ice and drop them down the stack, add a drop of water and presto-smokeO and it leaves no oily film. does not last long but neither do smoke units.  Get a balloon stack and you can get more capacity.

NM

I'll try and pick up some dry ice this weekend and make a video.

There is an idea i would never thought of, very imaginative.
Look forward to seeing that video.

GN.2-6-8-0

Seems to me I remember as a child being warned never ...never to not touch dry ice as it is so cold it will actually burn you,also I'm thinking using ice that cold would quickly freeze the plastic stack to the point of making it extremely brittle.... thoughts anyone?
Rocky Lives

Jim Banner

Glass is brittle too but it doesn't break if we don't bang on it.  I suppose if you have to add more dry ice, you shouldn't hammer it down the chimney.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Joe323

I found something intersting out about Bachmann smoke units When I run my prairie 2-6-2 DC unit on my now DCC layout it runs hot enough now that the smoker actually works well.  Yet another reason it will be retired to my Christmas Hanukkah setup  I am afraid the heat will ruin this engine my finance' is fond of.  The Xmas layout is basically just circles so it will be DC only.

NarrowMinded

It has not been a problem at all, I will eventually get off my procrastinating butt an buy some dry ice, I have a old stack, me being the curious type, I am going to pack it let
It set then give it a wack with something, I'll also use my fluke temp
Scanner to see just how cold the stacks gets.

NM