News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

won't reverse

Started by Mr. C, April 23, 2010, 04:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. C

I have a#60121 NYC emd ftb with dcc equipped.It came programmed on 3, and ran in both directions.I reprogrammed it for 1,now it won't run in reverse. I tried reprograming it back to 3 to run with the fta unit. It won't run in reverse. What am I doing wrong?

Jim Banner

Did you reprogram the address with a basic system like the E-Z Command or did you use a more advanced system which can change other CV's as well?

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Mr. C

I tried to reprogram it using ez command, however,I tried to prograam the matching A unit to #1 and it won't do that either.
I thing there's a problem with the command unit.

ABC

That or you don't understand how to correctly change the loco's address. Here's what is in your manual:
QuoteYour E-Z Command Control Center features ten programmable control buttons or "addresses." By default, most new DCC equipped locomotives are factory programmed to respond to commands on address 3. To program your locomotive to another address, first activate the locomotive by running it a short distance. Next, press button 3 (the locomotive's default address) AND the "Stop" button at the same time, then release them together. The power LED will flash quickly to indicate you're in programming mode. Choose a new address for your locomotive and press the corresponding button. The locomotive will move slightly (figure 10) and the power LED will flash slowly to indicate that you have successfully programmed your locomotive to its new address. Finally, press the "Stop" button to exit programming mode.

Jim Banner

Quote...press button 3 (the locomotive's default address) AND the "Stop" button at the same time, then release them together...

This looks like a copy and paste directly from the manual.  Unfortunately, the copy and paste job also copied and pasted the error it contains.  What it really should read is "press button 3 and while holding it down, press the stop button.  Then release both buttons."  The instructions on the DVD are correct.  When you try to press both buttons at the same time, it is a bit of a crap shoot which one actually makes contact first.  If it is the stop button, even by a few microseconds, then reprogramming the address does not occur.

When you have reprogrammed the address to something other than 3 but less than 10, you have to modify the above procedure by pressing the button for the present address.  For example, if you have reprogrammed a decoder to run on 1, and it actually runs on 1, then you have to press button 1 and while holding it down, press the stop button.

There are also directions for programming the decoder address when the present address is unknown or is greater than 10.  See the bottom of page 3 in your manual.

None of this solves the question of why the unit will not run in reverse.  It could be the command station but it is more likely, in my opinion, that the decoder is faulty.  The easiest way to find out is to see if your other unit(s) run in reverse when you tell them to.  If they do, the problem is not in the command station.  If no unit will run in reverse, the problem is most likely in the reversing push buttons and associated circuitry.  There is no command that the command station could accidentally send to the decoder to make the decoder fail to operate in reverse.

If only one unit fails to run in reverse, it is very likely that its decoder is defective.  Decoders use four transistors to operate the motor.  Two are used to control the motor in the forward direction and the other two control the motor in the reverse direction.  I suspect one of the latter transistors has failled.  I have only once seen a locomotive that would run only in one direction because of a problem not related to a decoder.  That one had a motor with an engineer's arm caught in it in such a way that it worked like a ratchet.  In one direction, it let the motor run, albeit with a lot of noise.  In the other direction, it jammed the armature, refusing to let it turn.  Interestingly enough, the engineer and fireman in the cab both had both of their arms.  No idea where the stray arm came from.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Mr. C

I will try the button sequence

Mr. C

I was able to change button locations,BUT, the new location still won't let either a or b units run in reverse in that number(1)

OldTimer

I don't own an EZ Command.  If that system allows it, I would try resetting the decoders.  By the way, have you tried another engine?  It should be one that you know ran okay before this started.
Just workin' on the railroad.

ABC

The E-Z Command cannot reset the decoder to its defaults because it does not have advanced programming. So take it to a friend with an advanced system and have him do it.