News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Decoder wire

Started by hotrainlover, April 23, 2010, 10:31:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotrainlover

What AWG is decoder wire?  Does any one know where is the best place to buy this wire, in multiple colors?  This wire is great for use in DCC/sound installs. 

Thanks for the help!

richg

There is no best, only what works best for you.
The wire usually AWG30. I buy form Litchfield. I bought the Wire #30 AWG, ten feet of each color since I wire for sound. It includes purple wire. My way. I like the convenience.
At a train show I found shrink tube of each color from Traintek, LLC. Again, my way.

http://www.litchfieldstation.com/xcart/home.php?cat=171

Rich

NarrowMinded

Before you buy wire, strip the cover off of some of your old mouse, or cheap USB cords many of them have very good #28 #30 wire inside, if you must have correct colors pick up a multi color package of magic markers and drag one down the white for the color you need. set it aside to dry though, then drag it through a paper towel and your good to go.

NM

pdlethbridge

futurlec sells  multi colored wire by the meter cheap. 10 core 28 gauge stranded $.50 a meter like this

richg

If you wire between a steam loco and tender, get the flexible stranded wire. Vinyl or plastic covered solid wire tends to be a little stiff. Also, with solid wire, a little knick when stripping the insulation off can cause the wire to break at that point with some flexing. Been there, done that, have the T shirt..

Some times I use #40 magnet wire as the insulation is very thin and tough but again, it is a solid wire useful for some DCC lighting applications with little room for the wires. Having worked in electronics for many years, I use what works.

Rich

pdlethbridge

The wire I mentioned is very flexible and easily separated from the other colors.

NarrowMinded

I'm Cheap and hate to buy wire, the wire in the cords is Very flexible, and it's free if it comes from a cord that is otherwise trash.

NM