News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

dummy engine help

Started by me, May 13, 2007, 08:56:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

me

I`m new to this and I was just curious if it is possible to make a dummy engine into a powered one.

Hunt

Depends on scale, make and model of the locomotive.

jayl1

It would be possible on most engines.  However until you buy all the parts it would be cheaper to buy a powered unit in the first place.

me

Thanks!!! I have a HO scale bachmann GP30 powered and a dummy. I just wondered because they weigh the same.

Hunt

You sure your HO locomotive was originally made by Bachmann as a Dummy? I have only seen ready-to-run.

me

It came in a bachmann set. It won't run by itself.

Bojangle

I noticed some of the Bachmann sets made for Great Planes have dummy locos.  I wouldn't mind having one just for my DC set.  If any of my powered locos every give up the ghost, I will probably turn them into  dummies lol
Bo

Hunt

Bach-man or someone who has seen under the shell of a Bachmann dummy GP30 will need to help you.

I feel once you price what is needed and the time to do it , purchasing a ready-to-run will be less expensive.  A ready-to-run may just cost around the price of just a motor.

Mike

The Bachmann dummies that I have seen came in Bachmann sets which had an F7A powered with an F7B unpowered and cars, track and transformer. To power one of the B units, it would be cheaper to buy an A unit off eBay and change the covers. They have been selling for only $10-$15 each. That would be hard to beat, pricewise.- Mike

the Bach-man

Dear All,
I agree with Mike. The prices are so reasonable that it would be impossible to power a dummy for less.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

msowsun

Here is a Bacmann set with a dummy:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/catalog/?function=detail&id=1545

With their crimson and silver War Bonnet paint scheme, twin locomotives move with seemingly unstoppable force as they haul freight up and over towering mountain passes you create with this set's 14-piece graduated pier set. Raising a cloud of sparkling dust in its wake, the Silver Streak races to the horizon.

This ready-to-run train set includes:

� powered EMD GP40 locomotive with operating headlight
� non-powered EMD GP40 locomotive
� single-dome tank car
� steel gondola
� wood stock car
� off-center caboose
� body-mounted E-Z Mate couplers
� 56˝ x 38˝ oval of snap-fit E-Z Track, including 12 pieces of curved track, 3 pieces of straight track, and 1 plug-in terminal rerailer
� 14-piece graduated pier set
� signal bridge
� 12 figures
� 12 telephone poles
� 24 railroad and street signs
� crossing signals and gates (12 pieces)
� power pack and speed controller
� illustrated instruction manual
MSRP: $ 160.00

me

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!!! That is the exact set I bought!

r.cprmier

Probably the only reason you would want a dummy locomotive would be to put a great sound system into a set without compromising the weight of the powered unit.

With a dummy, you can put some really great speakers into a unit, call it a permanent lashup, and go on about your business.

Also, it would be a fairly easy proposition to make a dummy out of a powered unit, simply be removing any drive train components, save the trucks and thier gearing; which out of neccessity, would/should remain intact for obvious reasons.

More years ago than I care to remember, Uncle Irv Athearn (Globe Models) did a great F unit dummy-boy, that gold unit and the silver unit were the bees knees, right, fellas?...  And for only a dollar ninety eight!!!!!

RIch
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

me

Is it difficult to take the drive out of a powered engine? I'm bidding on two engines on ebay and couldn't find a dummy so i bid on two powered hoping just to unpower the one so they would match.

RAM

All you need to do is take couple of gears out so you fave free wheeling trucks, and disconnect the the motor.  Save all the parts so you can put them back when you want another power unit.