n scale 7A 8B diesel loco powered A&B SP Blackwidow need to install DCC

Started by dopeyf350, April 20, 2010, 03:44:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dopeyf350

Can a decoder be installed on my engine ?   if so which decoder do i need to get for my DCC MRC.   Can ANYONE GIVE ME ADVICE :(

ABC

Who is the manufacturer and when was it produced? This is key in determining what needs to be done to install DCC in the loco. Speaking in generalities, you can add DCC to most N scale locos produced recently with a few exceptions, but make sure to isolate the motor and soldier the wires to the correct soldering points (if they exist). For N scale locos you will want any N or Z scale decoder that can handle your loco, and this is where a multimeter comes in handy.

skipgear

If you are talking about the Bachmann set....yes it can be done. I have done a set before. It requires milling of the frame to issolate the motor and make room for a decoder, drilling and taping two screw holes per frame to connect the decoder to rail power and replacement of the headlight with an LED or something else to issolate it from the frame.

That is an old MRC decoder before I learned how much better the other companies offerings are.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

dopeyf350

What kind of decoder do you recommend?  Let me know so that i can get one and please send the details on how to installed it.  The modifications to do on the A & B units. ;)

skipgear

Quick rundown of the steps...

Completely disassembly of the loco.
Remove motor, trucks and driveline, then reassemble the frame halves.
Mill out a spot for your decoder. Only take out as much as is needed to fit the decoder, weight is traction.
Pull the frame halves apart again, file or dremel away the tabs on the frame that contact the motor.
Drill and tap a hole in each frame half to attach the pickup leads of the decoder.
Solder the motor leads, headlight leads and make a loop in the pickup leads to screw them down.
Make sure to insulate around the motor to be sure there are no shorts.
Reassemble and test.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950