DCC Speaker Installation in a Spectrum N scale 4-8-2 light Mountain 81651

Started by glenn007, November 09, 2009, 07:12:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn007

Hello,

What size speaker (13 mm 16mm 17mm etc.) can be accommodated by the speaker housing provided in the tender?Also is that speaker housing a standard size in all your N scale tenders?

Also I have read back in some threads does this train have a traction problem still?

Thanks,
Glenn

rustycoupler

I put a 16 mm in my lt. mountain. Does your engine have a pulling problem, mine does? ???

jclinebe

I am new to DCC How do you open the 4-8-2 to install a dcc chip

Inspector

I understand that you can install a .010 shim on the bearing block and rotate the block on re-installation so that it is up against the frame.  This will lower the drive axle so that there is more load on it.  I should have included that I am refering to the driver that has the traction tire.  Putting more load on the traction tire increases traction.  This should give the loco the ability to pull over 20 cars by itself.  The 2-8-0 and the 4-8-2 heavy mountain do not have this problem and pull great.

hobo1

this loco is a nightmare,taking this loco apart to shim the bearing block is a waste of time. the loco still wont run right. check with spookshow on his website. these locos are basically shelf queens, they look nice but run like crap. the new heavymountain locos are excellent very close to kato quality

seadowns

Hi!
Why don't try tis:
Change the traction tires. Replace them with some slightly ticker tires and and the rail contact problem is easyly solved.
I cut my tires from silicon tubes 3 and 5mm dia., a cheap way to replace 'em on all of my locos.

Regards
Mathi