News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Progress on Spec 2-8-0 kit bash

Started by lanny, April 02, 2007, 11:43:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lanny

Hi everyone,

John Grant's beautiful kit bash of his Spec #908 ICRR Conso gave me the 'kick start' I needed to get busy on mine. Thanks to many helpful photos and answers to questions from Ray Breyer, here's a couple of 'progress shots' on my Spec 2-8-0.

A long way to go but having lots of fun. The "Paducah sand dome" (unique, I think, on the ICRR 2-8-0 900 series to #908) is totally scratch built, using the basic idea John used in building his. It's hard to see the details, but I have added the sand hatch with hinges, etc. This is 'gonna take a long time!   :)

lanny nicolet

ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

Orsonroy

Looking good Lanny! Hopefully, I'll find some time to work on mine this month!
Ray Breyer
Modeling the NKP's Peoria Division, 1949

SteamGene

Lanny,
What is the reason the ICRR went in for such large sand boxes.  I know why the C&O did, but where were long, steep grades along the IC right of way?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

lanny

Thanks Ray! Just installed the Cary NY airpumps on the pilot ... from the photos you have kindly provided me, it appears that the 2 top small pipe/valve outlets on each pump have to be removed? (not a big deal).

Gene, I am sure Ray, Stephen, or other ICRR experts on this forum can give you an answer to you question ... one I have asked myself, but never followed up on.

I will say that the Paducah sand dome on my Spec kit bash is pretty close in dimensions to the prototype #908 (again, thanks to Ray's photos and measurement suggestions). If I am not mistaken, it's pretty close to the same size (if not exactly the same size) as used on many of the ICRR Mikes, Mountains and 2-10-2s.

Perhaps it 'appears' so large on the 2-8-0 because of the relatively shorter Conso boiler length in relation to other ICRR steam. As to the 'why', Gene, I will be interested in what others have to say, for IC mainline from Chicago to the gulf sure didn't have grades that would be anything like the C&O or many other Eastern (or Western) roads had to contend with.

Here's a photo of the ICRR prototype #908 compared with an ICRR 2-10-2, 'Paducah dome'.

lanny

lanny

Sorry about that ... don't know why the previous download didn't work.

I'll try the 'camparison' photos again.

lanny

lanny

Ooooops! Sorry again! It did work! I'll blame it all on my 'slower than molasses in January' dial-up connection  :D

lanny

SteamGene

Both boxes are clear and do seem to be about the same size.  But again, even on the 2-10-2 that's a lot of sand!
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

lanny

Gene,

Notice also that on the 2-10-2 there are 2 sand domes. The larger 'front' and the 'smaller' rear! You're right, that is a lot of sand!

I do know on the East-West Chicago - Souix city, IA ICRR mainline, there are areas that have some pretty steep grades ... specially around the Mississippi from Dubuque, Iowa through Galena, Illinois, on the way to Chicago or Souix City.

ICRR hauled a lot of meat reefers from packing plants in Waterloo and Souix City (western IC terminus, I think), as well as up from Omaha on a branch to Souix City, into Chicago. And weather, as most of us midwesterners know, can get very dicey as to snow and ice covered roads and rails anytime from Nov to the first of April. Maybe that's the reason for the big sand domes.

These are just my 'assumptions' until the ICRR experts give a more 'definitive' answer.

lanny

SteamGene

You are right.  A prototype for everything.  The IHC 2-8-0 has two sand domes - and I've found prototypes for that and so does its 2-10-2.  And here again.   
Of course the C&O would have a lot more pipes.  I've always wondered - the Nickle Plate Berk came before the C&O Kanawaha, but both had the same massive sand box AND lots of sand pipes. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

ICRR

The Model Railroader Cyclopedia shows a plan for 908. I don't think it is too far off from those on the other Paducah rebuilt engines. John Uehling has been studying the mechanical drawings for various IC sand boxes so he may soon learn more about variations.

Out of the other 900 series 2-8-0s 904 and I think 910 had similar squared off boxes, but those look like sports - individually built and applied - rather than any standard sand box.

In any case your sand box looks very Paducah IC, and looks very good.

George Waltershausen

lanny

Thanks George,

Here are 3 photos of my  finished Spec. kit bash #908 boiler (except for painting).

I would be interested in learning where I can find photos or diagrams of #910. I would like to build another ICRR Connie with the Paducah sand dome if I could get a photo source. Ray Breyer has been a tremendous help in sending great photo info for me to use.

BTW: Gray areas are spot primer I used after some sanding to check out the contour.

lanny nicolet