News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

On30 shay gears

Started by Richza, April 27, 2010, 06:26:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richza

I have two sound equipped shays with split gears, ditto with climax when will Bachmann provide these items as spares, and upgrade them so they these loco's don't have this problem. This seems to be a very common problem and is fequently mentioned on On30 forums.  I will not buy another geared engine until I see spares and upgrades are available.

Linzthom

your heading is very appropriate ;D ;D ;D :o
I'm going to live forever; or die trying

the Bach-man

Dear Rich,
Please contact service for replacements.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

mabloodhound

Here is part of what John Cooper wrote on the Railroad Line forum.

"No part numbers yet, but tell them that you need the new axle assembly for the On30 Shay and they will know what you are talking about. They also said that it will be on there website "shortly"
I would get at least one clip, the first couple I took off I broke, now I can remove them without braking.
The Axles with the new gears and u-joints are $12.00 each and the clips are $1.00 each. For two axles and clips you are looking at $26.00 + Shipping"

Looks like a phone call will get you up and running.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

railtwister

So, to repair a loco and correct what is a factory defect, the customer must purchase additional parts from Bachmann to the tune of $26.00 plus shipping, and then dismantle and install these parts at his own risk? And, given Bachmann's less than sterling reputation for gear quality, what assurance is there that these gears are any better than the ones they will replace? At least with NWSL's HO replacements, you get metal gears for about the same price.

Bachmann used to have a reputation for excellent warranty coverage, even if their reputation for drive quality was somewhat lacking. At least back then, their products were inexpensive. Now they have raised their prices and eliminated their Lifetime Warranty program, so while their drives may run a little smoother up until they break, they still have a questionable reputation for reliability and durability.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. What a disappointment!

Bill

rayport

I had the same problem with the front gear on the rear truck on one of the original shays - that is after running it for about six months. Bachmann very happily replaced the engine; have not had a problem with the shay since.

Got a climax and very shortly encountered a split gear with it. Since  it is easy to get to I very cautiously applied a small amount of J-B Weld epoxy on the end of a small screw driver.
You have to be careful where it goes and not leave an excess. But two years later the engine is still running good as new with nary a hint of further problem.

I am sure this is not a solution for everyone but it can work very quickly and effectively.

Broken Shay

I did receive a replacement gear set for a new loco  that had split gears, Bachmann sent it to me at no charge.  I want to get my other shays running and they said they would charge me for them.  I ordered them because I want to see my shays run, not just sit and be yard junk.

I agree about a bad design and there charging for these parts seams a little cheap on there part.

What amazes me is that they have NEVER even agreed that there was a problem, they have not anounced that they had a replacement part.  Every time I called about this issue they seamed shocked that there was a issue.  (Stick head in sand)  Now a replacement part shows up.  IF there never was a problem then why is there a different replacement part?

I am happy there is a replacement part that seams to work,  but it really tells allot about the company by the way they have handled this.

Read this fast, I expect it will be deleted like other post on this subject.

John Cooper

railtwister

Hi John C.,

This kind of reminds me of Chrysler Corp (look where they are today). I've owned three Chrysler mini-vans, an '84, an '89 and a '95, the first two had 4 cylinder engines and were great vehicles, the last one was a six cylinder version, all had automatic transmissions. I have known over 20 other people that also had six cylinder models of the Chrysler mini-van, and all but one suffered multiple transmission failures from the git-go. Chrysler's response was to deny a problem existed with that transmission for at least 14 years after it was originally introduced. When my transmission failed for the second time with less than 60,000 miles on the odometer, I traded it in for a Honda Odyssey. All minvans of the different brands (Ford, GM, Chrysler and yes, even Honda) have been known to have transmission problems. Chrysler's response was to deny there was a problem, while Honda responded by automatically extending the warranty on the transmission on every Odyssey to 100,000 miles (look where THEY are today). I will never buy another Chysler mini van, or any other Chrysler for that matter. My next car will likely be a Honda.

I have two Bachmann On30 shays, one has never had the shrink wrap removed (and likely never will). I also have an On30 Climax, an On30 Rail Truck, two HO three truck shays, and multiple examples of every other On30 loco type Bachmann has made up until the On30 4-6-0 and articulated. If Bachmann continues their head-in-the-sand attitude about their defective gears, I will have bought my last Bachmann loco. I really wish Honda also made On30 locomotives.

Regards,
Bill

ScottyB

I've been wondering why my shay has been running so rough lately.  After very, very close inspection, both gears on the front truck are cracked.

Unfortunately, that makes 3 of my 4 Bachmann On30 lokes that have had gear issues (Porter and Climax had issues - my 2-8-0 is wonderful.)  I was just about to start on my "real" On30 layout but now I am seriously reconsidering.  I would just hate to go back to HO...

Hopefully, soon, Bachmann or NWSL will have a fix for this.

Frustrating since the On30 shay has been sold for a very long time.
On30 for me, N scale for my son.

ScottyB

Thanks Jack, I have my request in for some.  Are these the newer gears referenced in another thread?  Or the same original ones?

Fortunately, getting at those gears is easier than it looks.  With a small issue - I don't know the name of the part I broke, but is the the small box shaped part that holds the gear shaft in place - there is one on each axle.  I broke off one of the little tabs.  Anyone know what kind of glue to use to hold it in place?  Hate to use ACC in case I need to get at the gears again.

Scott

Broken Shay

Pretty sure Bachmann calls them "clips"

they charge $1.00 each.  I broke my first one, but have removed the last 6-8 without problems.  Take a very small flat screwdriver and pry them off from the bottom. 

John C.

mabloodhound

Other references I've just read say to definitely BUY the 4 clips required as they may have been glued in at the factory. 8)
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

ScottyB

Well, kudos to Bachmann, I have to report.  Very fast shipping - package was in my mailbox the day after they sent it, at no cost to me.  The gears are not the same as the original - much "thicker".  The shipment they sent me included the entire drive line, including the small part that I broke.  I have not installed it yet, but having disassembled the front truck in the past, I estimate it will be a less than 5 minute conversion for both trucks.

I'll post pictures of the shipment when I get a chance.

Thanks Bachmann.

Scott

ScottyB

Okay, a 10 minute fix.  Those clips are painted or glued, so they are difficult to get off.  I broke two and had two intact.  The Bachmann shipment came with only two - I would ask for four next time just in case.

Other than the clips, it is easily replaced.  A little lube and she runs fine again.

After closer inspection, three of my four gears had cracked.  Both front ones and the aft back one.

Photos:

Rear truck shaft, new one on top, old one below:

Front truck, new one on top, old below:

The replacement gears are significantly more robust.  Went together real easily after I got those clips off!

Scott